Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28,405 Posts
Hard to say without being there but the condition of the wood would determine whether it could be restored. It looks pretty rough and may be more work than it's worth. If it is solid but just cracked you can work glue into the cracks and clamp. It's just a matter of rubbing wood glue into the crack with your thumb. Even if the crack goes all the way through you can force glue all the way through. What's left of the cane can be removed by soaking it with vinegar and scraping it out with a narrow chisel. Fortunately it is a type of caning that comes prewoven and you can just cut it out and insert it in with a spline.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
:eek: It can be fixed back up see if you can reglue the splits or replace, then have to sand an weaving might work, but is it worth it, that only you can make a decision on

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
How have you got on with this chair ?

The first thing that I would do is take the chair to pieces , by undoing all the bolts , and then see it the the different parts keep their shape .
If they do , I would lightly sand , and to nurture the wood , oil ( with a plain wood oil , not a mixed one) the rockers , sides/arms etc , but not the seat or the back , at this stage .
Then I would do as those above have suggested with the seat and back , cleaning it down , replacing the cane , plain oiling and allow it to soak in deeply , and to dry on the surface.
When it is , I would then apply a coat or two of an oil mixture , allow to fully dry , and reassemble with new bolts nuts etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.