Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked and there is no left/right adjustment. I cannot bend it, it is steel and pretty thick

·
Registered
197 Posts
It will cause you to bind up when ripping... Ask me how I know. :(

My craftsman riving knife gets out of alignment from time to time... Not a fun experience!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Does the knife have a slight twist or is the lug it is bolted to out of line ?

From the look of that overhead pic it is the knife .
Lay it flat on the saw top and have a check.

If it is , send it back , shimming it will just move the winding twist sideways .

·
Registered
26,885 Posts
It may just be the picture but to me the riving knife looks thicker than the blade. If that is the case even if you shimmed it to move it left it wouldn't work. I never liked a riving knife and only had one on a saw for a month before taking it off. Too often a board would close up behind the blade pinching the riving knife.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
Does the knife have a slight twist or is the lug it is bolted to out of line ?

From the look of that overhead pic it is the knife .
Lay it flat on the saw top and have a check.

If it is , send it back , shimming it will just move the winding twist sideways .
I agree. When I saw the picture the knife looked bent. Shimming will not correct that.

George

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Is the riving knife attached to the bracket with a slot or a hole? A riving knife mounted with a slotted hole can be extremely dangerous. If it comes loose, it can launch directly at the operator. Thought those were illegal. What are you using for a blade? Looks like a negative hook miter saw blade, pretty poor candidate for ripping. Almost looks like the mounting bracket is not in line with the blade, shimming won't change that. The riving knife must be the same thickness as the blade and perfectly in line. They make different riving knives for thin kerf and regular blades, they are not interchangeable.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Steve Neul said:
I never liked a riving knife and only had one on a saw for a month before taking it off. Too often a board would close up behind the blade pinching the riving knife.
What??? That's the exact point of a riving knife....if it weren't there it would be closing up on your blade!!!!

I think you may be the first person I've ever heard who removed a fully functional riving knife intentionally.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'd contact Lee Styron and ask advice. Send him the pics.

(p.s. - clean your blade! ;))
I second contacting Lee. He worked with me on one I bought for my Ridgid which needed a little tweaking. I emailed on a Sunday and we went back and forth the same day I thought that was just incredible.

·
Registered
645 Posts
What??? That's the exact point of a riving knife....if it weren't there it would be closing up on your blade!!!!

I think you may be the first person I've ever heard who removed a fully functional riving knife intentionally.
Plenty of people do. I agree though. When I saw the safety stats on TS's, I was sold I riving knives.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
ctwiggs1 said:
Plenty of people do. I agree though. When I saw the safety stats on TS's, I was sold I riving knives.
I know of plenty of guys that remove the guards, and the old style splitters that were pretty difficult to mount and use....but a riving knife?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts