Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
So your skills aren't so good, then what makes you think it's maple or birch? I agree with Dave on Phinds site.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts

·
Scotty D
4,479 Posts
Dave, that link apparently doesn't work without a www in front ... at least using Firefox to read this thread, I get no joy when I click on your link.

GAF, you can find a link to my site in my signature

EDIT: Dave, I see the problem. The link is being taken as a LOCAL, relative, link, so when you click on it, you get www.woodworkingtalk.com/hobbit ... etc
I get... "page not found" :no:

·
Registered
26,880 Posts
It doesn't look like either birch or maple at all to me. It looks more like an open grain wood. Is it light in weight or heavy? The picture isn't very clear but what I see looks like hickory or pecan.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It doesn't look like either birch or maple at all to me. It looks more like an open grain wood. Is it light in weight or heavy? The picture isn't very clear but what I see looks like hickory or pecan.
Steve the wood is heavy. Actually when I did a stain test all of a sudden the wood looks like oak to me.

Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
26,880 Posts
Actually this last picture does looks like birch but birch and maple are some of the hardest woods to tell apart. Sometimes you have to go by the smell of it when you are cutting it or sanding it to tell the difference. Birch to me kinda has a green wood smell to it where maple doesn't have much of a smell.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually this last picture does looks like birch but birch and maple are some of the hardest woods to tell apart. Sometimes you have to go by the smell of it when you are cutting it or sanding it to tell the difference. Birch to me kinda has a green wood smell to it where maple doesn't have much of a smell.
Thanks Steve. Hopefully when the whole piece is done it will be easier to tell.

Gary

1 - 15 of 15 Posts