Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My basement has very restricted access. I can get a queen mattress into it (just), but cannot fit a box spring. So I’m thinking of building a Queen bed (60 x 80) from 2 x 4s and 2 x 3s. I’d like to store a spare Queen size mattress underneath so I can’t have any legs under the bed. One of my potential guests is a big guy, 5’ 8”, perhaps 250 lbs. He’ll be sleeping alone. I've attached a PDF picture. Don't seem to be able to attach the Sketchup model.

The side and end members are 2 x 4s and they are rebated 1/2" into the legs, so i believe the corners are pretty strong. The cross members are 2 x 3's rebated 1/4" into the side members, so again I believe these joints are pretty strong. They're 10" on center. Everything will be screwed together. There will be 1/4" ply on top to stop the mattress from sagging and to help keep everything square.

My main concerns are will the 2 x 4 side members be strong enough without a leg in the middle. And will the 2 x 3s be strong enough? I could put legs in the middle of the 2 side members, but I'm worried that they'll be a little weak since they'll not have much lateral support.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
Ret: Process Engineer
90 Posts
With that design I believe your span is extreme for a 2x4, I would definitely stiffen with a center support midway and consider a 2x6 around the perimeter. Laterals will also be tricky with a mattress/no box spring.
A thought ... build a box, say a foot tall with a well supported interior -- use the two mattress on top like a box spring mattress combo.

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
I do not see why you cannot make a design that used legs. Put the legs on the sides or ends with just enough clearance for the undermeath mattress.

gmc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks No Nails,

I like your idea of the 2 mattress combo. (Actually my wife came up the with same thought independently, so it must be a good idea). I've redesigned a much stronger version. See attachment.

In "normal mode" I'll remove all legs and the frame will simply sit on the floor. With 2 x 12" mattresses on top, and 3 1/2" for the frame, the bed height will be 27 1/2". Perfect. When we need an additional bed, I'll commandeer one of the mattresses, screw the (12") legs on and we'll be back to 27" bed height.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
If your basement is that hard to get in to then it will be that hard to get out of too in the case of a fire. No one should be sleeping in a basement without an egress window or a door of some kind other than the stairs up to the house.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JamesTinKS, thanks for your concern.

Apparently I wasn't clear in my original post. The restricted access to the basement only applies to getting a box spring down the stairs. No problem with humans getting in or out. And yes, there is an egress window in the bedroom - just not big enough for a queen sized box spring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts