Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok- I am stuck in the office so my photo example will have to be a hand drawing so hope this make sense...

I have been making some cutting boards and other glue ups lately, and after the initial glue up comes the squaring up the on side to then put against my fence and make the strips.

The question is, using a miter gauge that is square on the left side of a the saw blade (Left tilt if that matters) I use that miter slot and securely hold the cutting board with my hand at the top and on the Miter gauge to make the cut. I do not have a splitter on my older PM66 so I guess that raises the risk of kickback, but other than not having a splitter, would this be how this cut should be made?? For some reason I like to make this cut on the left side, feels more natural.

Below is a quick drawing to show what im talking about. Hope it makes sense. :thumbsup:

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Thats fine but after you square the end, you mentioned moving the fence over to cut your strips. I dont crosscut against the fence. Clamp a block to your fence and use that block to register your cut, then as you push your piece into the blade, the stock comes off the fence/block and dosnt become lodged between the fence and blade after its cut. Does that make since?

Better yet, build yourself a crosscut sled.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bass- That does make sense, I will give that a try, I'm currently using a GRRRRipper to hold down stock as I crosscut, but a sled probably needs to be my next build, but until then I will use the clamping a blcok to the fence... Thanks

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Your cut as illustrated is safe, especially if you have an auxillary fence on your miter gauge. +1 to what Bass said about a crosscut sled.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I use my miter gauge to square my boards and then cross cut the strips from there with the fence and no miter gauge. I just received a GRRRRipper myself not too long ago and it makes the operation feel much safer. The lack of a splitter may be an issue but I've don this without one as well. I still do all my boards this way but I use my splitter along with the blade gaurd and prawls supplied with Ithaca my saw.

All of that being said, I only do this because it feels safe to ME. I've seen or read plenty of other woodworking techniques that don't feel comfortable to me so I choose to do them a different way. Choice is yours and I'd say you build a sled or use the miter gauge throughout if that's what feels safest to you. I've never heard the words "too safe" uttered in a shop

·
Registered
470 Posts
That's not where I would place my left hand. It would be fine there if you applied zero pressure in any direction but if any pressure is applied toward the gauge it would tend to rotate the board CCW because of being off center of the gauge center line to the left.

I would prefer left hand centered in line with the gauge or not at all and both hands used to hold the board to the gauge.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Cabinetman, what is to be continued?
When I read your post, your picture wasn't up, so I asked about the picture (my post). Then after I posted, your picture was there, so I deleted my question, and left you the message.

So, if your gauge is up to par and is steady, your process should be OK. I would prefer to use the fence when possible.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Spend a day and make a cross cut sled if you are going to be making those type of cuts regularly. You are guaranteed straight cuts and it's far quicker. I just made mine a few days ago and wish I would have made one sooner.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alaska_Guy said:
Spend a day and make a cross cut sled if you are going to be making those type of cuts regularly. You are guaranteed straight cuts and it's far quicker. I just made mine a few days ago and wish I would have made one sooner.
Did you use a plan? If so, care to share? I'm planning to start making more cutting boards, so a sled is a must I believe.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts

·
Uncle Fester
1,555 Posts
That's a really nice sled. Thanks for sharing. Another thought is the Incra jig it system. I was thinking of making a small sled for little cut offs

As far as using a sled or against the fence, by all means I would be more comfortable using a sled so your hands are away from trying to hold down the piece while cutting

·
Registered
401 Posts
Alaska_Guy said:
Yep, a sled is the ticket.... I make 24x30 cutting boards, and made a sled many years ago.... Very safe, and accurate.....

Sent to y'all offen' a iPad thing......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts