Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yep, looks like it. if the handle crank swings left, the blade goes right, toward the fence.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Yep. Another caution about that Jet. If he took the table off and didn't catalog the shims in each corner, it may be a real pain to put the table back on and have it level. A lot of folks think those shins are washers and don't pay attention to where they go.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey Jon,

Sorry i try to keep up w/ threads I post on here, especially since so many of the other members here have helped me though so much as i'm still learning. Between work and playing in my shop i've been off the computer a bit the last few days. Since i know a lot of stuff on craigslist (where i do most of my shopping too) can go quick, especially if it's a great deal I wanted to show you a picture of a left tilt saw so you can quickly & easily determine what you're lookin' at.

See how in the pic you posted the crank on the front of the saw has a channel it will follow when the blade is tilted and yours goes to the left of the user from the center position? That means the blade will go to the right. in the picture i'm posting the channel for the front crank goes to the right as it goes up, which will result in the blade going left *since the handle is below the pivot point.

I'm sure not every saw you'll ever see looks just like either of these, but many will and those you can quickly qualify as right or left tilt if you see what i'm saying. If not let me know & I'll try to clarify.

There's also a really good, really thorough article on here by KnotScott that helped me make sense of a lot of the options available and what i really needed to look for in shopping for a table saw. The link to that article is here: http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/...ns-making-sense-all-choices-part-1-3-a-43321/ this is the 1st of 3 threads on all his input. To be honest i bought a Unisaw that is right tilt... haven't needed to tilt it yet for anything or run into any issues in my projects working usually 5 days a week over maybe 3 months of getting into this stuff. So do what's right for you, but don't discount a great deal unless you're sure a right tilt won't serve you well. Best & good luck man, from a former Michigander (13yrs in A2)
~Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies

As I have been looking for a table saw, (on CL and mfg sites,) some pictures or descriptions don't mention till direction. My Makita bench top saw is a left tilt. Because I am used to it, the next table saw will also be a left tilt.

Jon
Northern Michigan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts