Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a lathe over the internet that is at a local store, and i was wondering if I should go look at it or is it over priced, they are asking 500 obo. The lathe I have is too cheap and everything moves and would like to upgrade so i dont have to keep adjusting things every minute.

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Frosty, I can't get the picture to expand, so I can't tell what brand it is, but it looks a lot like our old Atlas. If so, and you can test-drive it before buying, and it seems to be in good condition, jump on it!! We have a 50s-era Atlas that is as solid as the day it was made, and it's still running strong and true.

Nancy (134 days)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry i forgot to say it was a Delta Rockwell. They said i can get it for $400 but then the taxes make it $456. I'll see if they can go any lower. And the dust collection shute is included.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
My limited exp. with Rockwell tools has always been good. All the ones I have delt with are still running and work great.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I picked it up 3 weeks ago and forgot to repost. I payed $399 CND which seemed like a good deal since for that price you could buy some cheap chinesse thing. It is in preety good condition. Gave it a cleanup and what not. I cant use it yet cause i dont have 220V. Now I have two tools i cant use yet :furious:. Oh well that means i have more time to make them working in top condition. Have any of you guys tried outboard turning on the other side of the headstock? I know its possible because I have books from the 50's and there are pictures of people turning on the other side of the headstock but i would like to know a little more before i even try. What would you use as a tool rest?
Thanks

·
Registered
569 Posts
I picked it up 3 weeks ago and forgot to repost. I payed $399 CND which seemed like a good deal since for that price you could buy some cheap chinesse thing. It is in preety good condition. Gave it a cleanup and what not. I cant use it yet cause i dont have 220V. Now I have two tools i cant use yet :furious:. Oh well that means i have more time to make them working in top condition. Have any of you guys tried outboard turning on the other side of the headstock? I know its possible because I have books from the 50's and there are pictures of people turning on the other side of the headstock but i would like to know a little more before i even try. What would you use as a tool rest?
Thanks
I've never done it but maybe you could use the type of stand you use to suport oversize material when your using a table saw or chop saw. They are adjustable and fairly stable.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Hi Frosty

I tried outboard turning on my old Rockwell lathe many years ago, and it was fine, until I turned the power off. I had a fairly large piece of plywood on it at the time, and as the motor slowed down the face plate unwound itself from the threaded headstock, and my wood went whanging across the job floor. No damage done, but I haven't tried that again. There is probably some way to secure the face plate so it won't do that. Does anybody have any ideas.

PS: at 399 CDN I think you did okay.

Gerry

·
flatiron
71 Posts
lathe

The motor probably will run on 110 & 220 by changing the wiring. Look at the plate on it, may be interchangeable. You can download a manuel from OLD WOODWORKING MACHINES. COM. if it is posted.
think you got a good buy!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes it is interchangeble, but i dont want to switch it to 110 because in two weeks I will have 220 out in the garage so i think i can wait that long.
In the mean time i can go looking for wood.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts