Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
where's my table saw?
29,625 Posts
it's a good concept but

I think it's a poor execution from what I've heard/read. It would make an OK hobby saw, for foam thin plywood, 1" thick hardwood, etc. The large table is about the only thing that's really good. It is so similar to the one I designed in college that I believe it was "stolen" by a classmate back in the '60's.
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/members/woodnthings-7194/albums/bandsaw/

http://newyork.craigslist.org/searc...y=wood+bandsaw&zoomToPosting=&minAsk=&maxAsk=
I searched "All of New York" there is very little to choose from.

Is this in your budget?
http://www.sears.com/grizzly-the-ul...p-SPM847322714?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
i don't believe in spending a lot on tools, but i believe in getting tools that will perform well. i'd pass on that BS. sometimes, price isn't the only thing to consider. at $100 for both the BS and the RAS, i might consider it. but those RASs with the bolt together column support are not regarded terribly well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
toolguy1000 said:
i don't believe in spending a lot on tools, but i believe in getting tools that will perform well. i'd pass on that BS. sometimes, price isn't the only thing to consider. at $100 for both the BS and the RAS, i might consider it. but those RASs with the bolt together column support are not regarded terribly well.
I am going to pass. I wasn't sure if at 1 1/8 hp/12 inch for $75 if it was a steal. I guess the question should be is what stats/features should I be on the lookout for in a used BS?

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
If you want to get serious about a bandsaw, Id look for a minimum 14". One that accepts a riser block if you want to get into milling or resawing. Also one with a 1 1/2 HP or larger motor. Most of the 14" saws on the market today have a 3/4 or 1 horse motor. There are some exceptions though. My saw has a 1 horse and it does pretty good with 6" stock. Id like to add a riser block but theres no way it can handle 12" stock without a motor upgrade.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
If you just want a starter bandsaw for hobby use, that might be fine. I've owned one just like it and had another like it at work. A weak point is that the pulleys underneath can work loose and make a racket, and if not tightened can wear out the keyways on the shafts. Also, the front (removable) part of the table can be fussy to get adjusted level with the rest of the table. Mine actually had a low spot in it that I fixed by flipping it upside-down on the workbench and whacking it with a mallet.

If you are looking for a starter bandsaw, the price is right and if you find you want something heavier-duty you can move up later. I gave my Craftsman to a friend (who is happy with it) and got a 14" Shop Fox and I'm happy, too!

Bill

·
Registered
91 Posts
Id buy it for $75. Around here they go for almost twice that price.
Sure, its underpowered and poorly made, but a better one is 3 or 4 times the price.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I would get the band saw for that price if it runs smoothly and vibration is not noticeable. In buying used bandsaws, you have to check the overall condition, from guides, wheels, tires, bearings, table, to switches, parts availability, the missing parts of the saw, trunnions ,adjustment knobs, vibration and the motor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts