Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this as my first plane. Yes it's cheap, and no I didn't expect a miracle tool.
However it seems the "tightening disk" (?) on the plane is warped or bent. I only tried
it on some plywood edges to shape them a little to fit where I needed them. They cut,
but not very well. I saw a guy on youtube decided to put the work into actually making this
and effective tool, and with his skills and other tools, he brought this "booger" up to speed.

I think I may have grabbed one with some manufacturing deficiencies, this isn't normally
how it should look , right ?

Thanks

Audio equipment Material property Gas Font Carmine

· Registered
26 Posts
I just bought this as my first plane. Yes it's cheap, and no I didn't expect a miracle tool.
However it seems the "tightening disk" (?) on the plane is warped or bent. I only tried
it on some plywood edges to shape them a little to fit where I needed them. They cut,
but not very well. I saw a guy on youtube decided to put the work into actually making this
and effective tool, and with his skills and other tools, he brought this "booger" up to speed.

I think I may have grabbed one with some manufacturing deficiencies, this isn't normally
how it should look , right ?

Thanks

View attachment 447158
as you become more addicted to standing in wood shavings you will find that it pays to buy the best your budget will allow

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as you become more addicted to standing in wood shavings you will find that it pays to buy the best your budget will allow
Being a beginner, I really have no idea what "the best " would constitute. Not quite addicted yet, so I am really looking for something that would get the job done well enough at reasonable cost. I am not doing fine woodworking, just working with wood for some home repairs where an adequate tool would be useful.

· Registered
194 Posts
OK, my guess is that it is a Jorgensen plane from Lowe's or other big box store. The blade and the thing above it should be parallel so I would definitely return it.
If you are looking for a small inexpensive plane, I would recommend Lowe's Kobalt line--I think they are a little better than this one.
Please know that you will probably not be able to ever achieve those thin shavings you see on youtube but you might be able to get a plane in this price range to cut.
As to sharpening, I suggest you watch some of the videos where they sharpen the plane iron on sandpaper.

· Registered
29,448 Posts
It's difficult to say if it is defective without having one in your hand. A lot of planes you can adjust them to where the blade is on an angle so it takes off more wood on one side than the other. The picture makes it look defective but it may be it just needs adjusting.

· Registered
Property mgmt
655 Posts
That wheel isn't going to affect the plane performance, as long as it can apply sufficient pressure to the blade AND ... the blade is sharp, the blade is properly supported by the frog, and the blade is extended the correct distance. Trying to use a plane on the edge of plywood is going to be difficult. Try it on the edge of a pine 1x board first, and get consistent thin shavings.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I‘d return it. What brand is it?
OK, my guess is that it is a Jorgensen plane from Lowe's or other big box store. The blade and the thing above it should be parallel so I would definitely return it.
Nope. That's defective.
I bought an inexpensive block plane (similar from HD) a while back and it didn't last long before that same part stripped out the threads and wouldn't hold the blade in.
Jorgensen , yes ! Should I avoid this brand ? I know it's cheap-o, but the tool should work to some extent. And that's all I need really, shaving off some small excess. That bent wheel just seems to be a step too far in slackness of quality control.

I will ask Lowe's for another one , see if I fare any better.

Thanks for replies !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts