Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
helo.. im a student from art college... i need to design hammer drill.. but i really need to know.. is the hammer drill safe.. is there any problems??

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hammer drills are safe. the rpm's are slower than a regular drill. If you use one for long period, your hand goes numb. I have carpel tunnel and after a while it gets it flared up. As you hit harder material they grab, so a second T handle is needed. I've been doing construction for 25 years. I find Hilti to be the best design.here is a link to look at one.http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/modules/prcat/prca_popupproductpic.jsp?OID=40918 The handle with the trigger is called a D handle It's connected above and below your hand, that is important for strength. That's all I can think of. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
need to upgrade the existing one..

i have to design @ upgrade full exterior, comfort of the hammer drill... but i have to have the reason and problem identification, so i can find a solution.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Are you sure it's a hammer drill, and and not a rotary hammer...there is a difference...
That guy was doing something for scool. he will probably never get back on. I didn't feel like getting onto the whole expanation about the diff between a rotor drill and a rotary hammer.

·
johnep
2,140 Posts
My drill has built in hammer action for masonry. I notice in the catalogues that SDS drills can be used with chisels so presumably the lad was wanting to do some carving totem poles.
johnep

·
Registered
31 Posts
A hammer drill is NOT a rotary hammer.

Only ROTARY HAMMERS (SDS capability) , not hammer drills, may have the chipping action .... and even all rotary hammers DO NOT have the chipping mode .... you have to read the specs...

Generally it is only the "larger rotary hammers which have a "hammer only/chipping mode", ie..no rotation...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think that he was trying to come up with some design solutions to overcome common hammer drill problems, but didn't know enough about hammer drills to know what the problems are.
Speaking of hammer drill problems, I've got a low end Makita with a keyless chuck. It didn't take long on the hammer setting before the chuck froze slolid. I'm keeping an eye open for a keyed chuck to replace it. Don't have need for a hammer drill very often, but they can be handy for installing inserts in block walls etc.

·
Registered
512 Posts
i have to design @ upgrade full exterior, comfort of the hammer drill... but i have to have the reason and problem identification, so i can find a solution.
Are they safe! If you wear goggles ( face shield is better) gloves and earmuffs and mask No problem. I know its a lot to wear all at once but it seams to cover all the safety needs.
Comfort! If a hammer drill had a bit of a cushioned handles to help ease the vibration, you would have a half decent Hammer drill. The one I have is just hard plastic and the my fingers and had will ake a bit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts