Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making a Japanese wood bento box. (I'll post a pic of a bento box I am trying to make) I am almost done with it but I end a finish on the wood so it won't warp and liquid won't seep through. Also if it is a concern, I have made through dove tales on each box. Is there something I can use that is non toxic and seals the box? Thank for your advise.

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
+1 with C'man, a cured finish should be non-toxic.

For your bento boxes, I think a wipe on finish is easiest to apply.

Shellac is good only if it will not have contact with water, since it will get white spots if water left on the surface.

Perhaps Minwax Wipe-On Polyurethane may be easiest for you to apply. It is essentially the poly but diluted with more solvent. The good news is that it is a wipe on with paper towel or I prefer lint free piece of cloth.

The not-so-good news is that the coat is thin, due to the amount of solvent, so you need 3 or 4 coats to get a decent film thickness.

Light sanding between coats, to remove nibs/dust particles and "key" the surface so the next coat attaches well.

Once this cures it will be resistant to liquids. Still have to be careful about heat with any film finish.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
What do the Japanese use for bento box finish? A synthetic finish somehow spoils my view of such things.

Hot bee's wax and buffed up? Practically all organic waxes melt somewhere between 55C and 65C (approx 130F - 150F). That's just the nature of saturated, long-chain triglycerides.

Jelly-jar top paraffin is about the same but clear, not bee's wax yellow.

Melt in a small pot in a hot water bath. Saturate a cheap brush and paint it on. Gentle warming in a low 150F oven for a few minutes will remelt the wax, help it to soak in. Gently scrape off the excess and buff up the shine. Like shing an apple on your sweater = friction.

I do all my kitchen tools at 350F x 3 minutes with olive oil = no harm done.

·
Registered
28,400 Posts
Probably the most water resistant finish you could use would be a marine grade spar varnish. The biggest problem you will have though with any finish is a satin sheen would look the best on the boxes but the farther you get from high gloss the less water resistant the finish is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.