Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as title says, Is there a festool domino knock off?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Haven't seen one yet. Probably protected under patents. When they run out, I'm sure you'll see a slew of them come out. Similar to the Fein Multi-tool.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the bead lock, and I'm not too happy with it. Alignment was not that great, making the rails in a rail and stile door look twisted.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I have the bead lock, and I'm not too happy with it. Alignment was not that great, making the rails in a rail and stile door look twisted.
I have two attached to each other with a piece of steel between. I'll clamp the jig between rail and stile. Then use the bead lock as a drill guide and drill 3/8" holes for dowels.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I too get annoyed that anything that's black and green costs more than my house payment. Not that they're not worth it, I'm just cheap. Which is why I stick with wood pegs, $1,200.00 just for the knowledge that my pegs are oval instead of round seems odd to me. I just got a set of tenon cutters and I cut my own dowels now.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
A plunge router with a mortise jig attatchrd to the bottom can be nearly as quick and perform the same operation. A couple weeks ago on the woodsmith shop they built a hall storage bench with loosed tennons. He even built a little jig that made routing the mortises in the endgrain easy.

·
where's my table saw?
28,751 Posts
router mortising jig

This jig will make end grain mortises easily:

Another nice jig for loose tenons, however it seems like it takes "forever" to set it up, but the advantage is once it's done, you make all your end cuts or edge cuts with the same set up using the stop blocks for equal length mortises.

·
where's my table saw?
28,751 Posts
A router table can also be used

If you have a right angle jig or tenoning jig you can use it to support the work vertically and make your end mortises. Like this:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/W1500

1 - 14 of 14 Posts