Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pulley keeps coming loose and I wonder if it isn’t the belt that’s causing the problem. I’m pretty sure it’s the same belt I’ve always had since I first bought it, but I have it at the maximum adjustment and it still feels loose.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have a key and a Allen screw in it?
Yes, But I notice a little bounce sometimes which might be loosing the screw. Yesterday when it came off I was haveing plug problems and the motor was going off and on just before the pulley came off.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've found that very many of those loosening / tightening cycles of a set screw and their life cycle is gone with the sharp cupped edge being flattened somewhat. Replace the screw and as mentioned a drop of thread locker especially with that aluminum sheave.

Attached is a chart that may aid you in determining tension. Your belt looks to be an A.

http://www.culvermotor.com/Engineering-Formulas/Belt-Tensioning-Instructions.html

·
novice wood hacker
514 Posts
I've found that very many of those loosening / tightening cycles of a set screw and their life cycle is gone with the sharp cupped edge being flattened somewhat. Replace the screw and as mentioned a drop of thread locker especially with that aluminum sheave.

Attached is a chart that may aid you in determining tension. Your belt looks to be an A.

http://www.culvermotor.com/Engineering-Formulas/Belt-Tensioning-Instructions.html
This is good advice. I would however also run a tap through to clean out the threads first.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I cleaned the set screw on the pulley and put a drop of blue lock tite on it many years ago and mine has never come loose again.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cleaned the set screw on the pulley and put a drop of blue lock tite on it many years ago and mine has never come loose again.
I've been told a number of times to use the blue locktite and I keep forgetting about it when I'm in the store. I may have to make a special trip out to pick some up.:yes:

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Can't see the end of your pulley but in addition to the set screw, there is usually a small square bar that fits both the pulley and in a groove in the shaft. It's not just a set screw that holds the pulley in position and this small bar can easily get lost if it comes loose.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can't see the end of your pulley but in addition to the set screw, there is usually a small square bar that fits both the pulley and in a groove in the shaft. It's not just a set screw that holds the pulley in position and this small bar can easily get lost if it comes loose.
Yes I found the little metal key in the bottom of the sawdust and put it back in. I don't know how many times this has come apart but this is certainly not the first. It just now occurred to me that should maybe superglue the key into the motor slot so I don't lose it again.

·
where's my table saw?
28,589 Posts
I wouldn't do that

Yes I found the little metal key in the bottom of the sawdust and put it back in. I don't know how many times this has come apart but this is certainly not the first. It just now occurred to me that should maybe superglue the key into the motor slot so I don't lose it again.

Either get a new key, 3/16" I believe, OR take a center punch to yours and make some dimples in a few places on the key It will "upset' the metal enough so you may have to hammer it in. IF the pulley slot has become enlarged from the set screw being too loose causing the pulley to slam on the key, you'll need a new pulley also. Try to find cast iron, aluminum is really too soft.

Reactions: Sleeper

·
Registered
239 Posts
Before I got my Saw Stop, I had a Craftsman that was having the same problem....would happen a couple of times/day.....I replaced the key and set screw, cleaned out the threads that received the screw, and it fixed the problem......

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Before I got my Saw Stop, I had a Craftsman that was having the same problem....would happen a couple of times/day.....I replaced the key and set screw, cleaned out the threads that received the screw, and it fixed the problem......
Really wow! It’s just hard for me to imagine that replacing the screw and key would fix the problem. I guess it’s because of the aluminum. The pulley must be warming up and expanding from the belt causing the screw to come loose. I can see the key and slots wearing out once it’s loose and vibrating in the slot and I guess the screw is also vibrating.
Well I’m going to look for a steel or cast iron pulley but change out the screw and key with the blue locktite for now. Thanks

·
Registered
239 Posts
Really wow! It’s just hard for me to imagine that replacing the screw and key would fix the problem. I guess it’s because of the aluminum. The pulley must be warming up and expanding from the belt causing the screw to come loose. I can see the key and slots wearing out once it’s loose and vibrating in the slot and I guess the screw is also vibrating.
Well I’m going to look for a steel or cast iron pulley but change out the screw and key with the blue locktite for now. Thanks
The key on mine was not a good fit (seemed to be too loose)....and the screw just would not stay tight (never did try loc-tite....but replacing them seemed to work....I only used that saw for about 4 months after that, before I got my new saw.....

·
Registered
470 Posts
It isn't because of the aluminum. It's because of the flat on the screw no longer bites into the key/shaft very well. Refer to replies 6,7,13.

The motor sheave pictured is out of alignment also. That's one of the negatives of this motor mount system. A shim may be needed.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The motor sheave pictured is out of alignment also. That's one of the negatives of this motor mount system. A shim may be needed.
The photo was taken before I had aligned and tighten down the pulley. I was in the process of putting the belt back on when I realized that all the adjustments were at their extreme end and took the photo.

Yes it might be a negative, but the plus side of having a thousand replacement motors to choose from is more than worth the trouble to me. I go to great lengths to buy stuff that is interchangeable. And that’s exactly why I will never ever own an Apple Computer of any sort or a SawStop. :shifty:

A friend of mine had a direct-drive TS motor burn up and the motor replacement was more than what he paid for the saw. Just the thought of not being able to run down to the closest hardware store to buy another one completely turns me off to the idea.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts