Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have heard enough that spraying pre cat lacquer can make you go boom...enough that I used a wb acrylic lacquer instead. My diy spray booth is not set up for not exploding (haha...that sounds funny for some reason).

I'm a hobbyist...tables, benches. Maybe a few items a year. Less than 10.

Will I? I was not over the moon with the wb lacquer.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
It is explosive, however it does need to reach a certain level to be so. That said, with good airflow I've always been able to keep fumes at an acceptable level.

·
Registered
26,202 Posts
The thing about lacquer is it dries so fast you can spray it in your back yard where you don't have to have a spray booth. A coat of vinyl sealer and two coats of pre-cat lacquer and you are done. From start to finish could be just a couple of hours. With water based lacquer it raises the grain where it takes more coats and more sanding between coats where it might take you all day to do what you could do with a solvent based lacquer in a couple hours. Also water based lacquer is temperature sensitive where a solvent based lacquer can be sprayed when it is below freezing. At that temperature it dries slow but will work.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it sounds like I can blow myself up when spraying indoors without 'proper' air flow. I do 90% of my woodworking in the winter (summer is just too much fun to spend in the shop all day) and although the lacquer will work in below freezing I'm not sure I will :)

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
So to answer your question in a no. Scientific way....I've always sprayed lacquer in my brother in laws shop which is an old farmhouse that's been converted without much airflow other than a window open and I'm still here, not to say it's right, but it's worked.

·
Registered
26,202 Posts
The problem with spraying lacquer in an enclosed space with a heat source is you never know when you reach a point where the concentration of solvents reaches a point where it ignites. In my younger days I've sprayed lacquer in a room with a fire in a wood stove. I would spray a little at at time and let the vapors dissipate. I know now just how lucky I was not to blow myself and my house up. The cloud of lacquer fumes when ignited can explode very similar to a natural gas leak.

·
Super Moderator
4,940 Posts
In my younger days I've sprayed lacquer in a room with a fire in a wood stove. I would spray a little at at time and let the vapors dissipate.
That was probably a lot safer than a sudden spark.

·
Registered
26,202 Posts
So other than Ryan, how do you guys spray it? Pro setup only?
At one time I had a 1200 sq. ft. building just for finishing. Then a storm destroyed my main shop and I had to move the wood shop into my paint shop and move the paint work outdoors under an awning. This is one reason I use lacquer mostly. My finishing conditions are as bad as anyone's.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
So other than Ryan, how do you guys spray it? Pro setup only?
Depends on the particular gun also as to how much of a 'cloud' you get going on as well.

I got this one Kremlin that will lay down a nice finish but will quickly put a cloud in the air - Using one of my Iwatas for the same thing makes hardly any cloud for the same amount of work being done. (more material ends up on the workpiece instead of floating around as overspray. :smile:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use earlex hvlp...I think about 2-3 lbs at the tip so pretty low...not much cloud.

Thx guys, since it was not a resounding go ahead and spray at will I will play it safe.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I use earlex hvlp...I think about 2-3 lbs at the tip so pretty low...not much cloud.

Thx guys, since it was not a resounding go ahead and spray at will I will play it safe.
If you have some type of ventilation you should be fine. It would be harder on you to spray pre cat without ventilation then worrying about catching on fire. If you cant breathe, then its time to worry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts