Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have soft pine wood. Do you think I can make a sturdy and stable chest with pine wood. Will pine wood stand up to weight and sturdiness? Or should I use something hard like oak or cherry. And thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
26,329 Posts
It will hold up fine for the construction of the chest. The day to day use getting dings in it may be a issue. You would just have to be careful what and how you set stuff on it.

·
7,222 Posts
I have soft pine wood. Do you think I can make a sturdy and stable chest with pine wood. Will pine wood stand up to weight and sturdiness? Or should I use something hard like oak or cherry. And thank you for your advice.
There are different species of pine.

I purchased some pine S4S boards from Lowes to make shelves for a friend. Lowes does not state the actual species. I hated this wood. I swear if I looked at it, there would be a new ding or two or three. The grain easily tore out. I make a small platform for the lathe. Showing it to a friend just minutes ago. I was sliding another piece on top, and the grain caught and another big splinter.

If you can get Soft Yellow Pine, I think you can make a sturdy and stable chest. Despite the name SYP is quite dense. Several forum members have bench build threads where they have use SYP.

If your soft pine is like the boards I purchased from Lowes, I would not recommend using in a chest. Too splintery, too soft, too easy for any hardware to strip out. Try the fingernail test. If your fingernail can ding the material deep without much force, you may not want to use this for a chest.

I think white oak or cherry would also look much better than pine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you are talking about a traditional style tool chest such as the one Christopher Schwarz talks about and builds, it us actually supposed to be made with white pine. White pine rather than oak or another hard wood is so the chest remains light enough to move when filled with tools.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I built a floor-level kid's toy box from 1x12 pine. Drop front door, it sat underneath a chest of drawers.
The kids banged it up some, I would have been far more concerned if they had never played with their toys. Sold it in a garage sale to a young couple with two little kids, $30. They were relieved that there was no need to attempt to keep it in pristine, unused condition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts