Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I went to an estate sale today and came across a box of planes. :eek: I picked up a couple that seemed to be in decent shape. While I was looking, another guy came along and just grabbed whatever he could. I never realized how competitive people get a sales. Guess I always show up to late. But any way, I got a #4, #6, 40, 95, 191 and a small bull nose without a number. All seem to be in good shape except the 191 is missing a fence (I think). All have a lot of dust. Got them for 10 each except for the 6 which was 20. I think they were good deals. Cheaper than any other planes I've purchase. Plus, no shipping. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Very gloat worthy! Especially the #95 - I've seen them go for 5-10 times what you paid for it.

BTW - no fence on the 191. It did originally come with a depth gauge and a spur though.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 191 has the spur, but yeah the fence is missing. I think I'll go back to the sale Saturday and look through the misc boxes of small metal "stuff" (junk). I might get lucky and find the fence. There were some old looking tool chest/boxes that I might make an offer on. The tool situation is getting out of hand and there isn't enough storage in the garage at the moment.

I gotta say I was pretty lucky to grab them. If I was 60 seconds later they would have been grabbed up by another guy.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When it rains it pours. I picked up three more planes, (two 5's and another 6) and a Disston #4 back saw this past weekend. Its the most woodworking tools I've seen at yard sales. That makes a total of 8 planes in one weekend.

I started cleaning up a few of the planes. I tried using white vinegar, soaked, to remove the black stains from the metal pieces. It worked pretty good, but left a light rust color on them. I left the parts sit with vinegar on them while I scrubbed everything. I'm going to try just rubbing vinegar on the metal this week to clean off the rust color. I'll post some pictures later in the week once I transfer pictures from the camera.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts