Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wood Wood stain Table Plywood Hardwood I have started taking down and old barn and using the wood to make different kinds of furniture. Very hard to wood with, depending on where in the barn you get the wood. Just took down the first few pieces of the siding and had someone tell me they thought it was chestnut. Never seen any so I cannot say. Compared some with pictures I could get on internet and it is a maybe, but would like your thoughts. [/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
My experience has been that chestnut looks a lot like white oak but is lighter weight & doesn't have the strong ray pattern on the quarter face like oak does.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Here is a picture of a peice of my chestnut. Looks pretty similar. However yours does not have any wormholes.... Here is some more pictures of chestnut. Almost all of chestnut is called "wormy chestnut" because it has worm holes. This stuff came out of an old house my shop teacher bought it all for $50 I know him an I spent a long time separating chestnut from poplar. After all that time it looks almost identical. There is a chance yours could be chestnut also a chance it could be poplar. Ill sit back and see what others say.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pictures close up and End

[/ATTACH]

Do these help make a decision of more certainty. Hate to tell someone it is chestnut but be told I am wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
The "worm holes" could be a result of the chestnut blight that pretty much wiped out the chestnut trees. That is also why you don't see much chestnut wood these days. I have heard that they have come up with a disease resistant chestnut tree and chestnuts are starting to make a comeback. That makes me happy, because I love eating roasted chestnuts in the winter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looked at Phinds website, which is awesome, and the pictures of chestnut. I think it can be found to match many of them and with the input from many senior members who say yes, unless someone says absolutely no, I believe I will call it "chestnut." Thanks for everyones help.

·
Registered
90 Posts
the color doesn't look right for chestnit. should be more brown ot tan than white. how's the weight? as mentioned, chestnut's very light , also very easy to work on the saw.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Wood is Light

It is light and it saws easy, but I think it has rays. The grain is very straight and regular. I thought that kinda ruled out Oak, but you guys know more than I do.

·
Registered
155 Posts
View attachment 75671 I have started taking down and old barn and using the wood to make different kinds of furniture. Very hard to wood with, depending on where in the barn you get the wood. Just took down the first few pieces of the siding and had someone tell me they thought it was chestnut. Never seen any so I cannot say. Compared some with pictures I could get on internet and it is a maybe, but would like your thoughts. [/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
It looks like hickory to me. To me old chestnut is a little darker than the pics. in your post. Plus, chestnut IMO is like fir in that it feels a little fuzzy and rough even after it's sanded. That just might be my perception.:blink:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts