Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble getting my portable table saw to keep the blade aligned with the miter slot - I'm about ready to try red Loctite.... As such, I definitely want a new table saw before the end of the year, but the one's I would like to buy are too expensive ($1800 - $3000 shipped) & will probably have to wait till end of next year.

Meanwhile I ran across the Delta contractor saw at Lowes for $679. It appears to be built better than any of the other portable saws, has a really solid looking fence, & a 30" rip capacity. Only real downsides I noticed, flimsy stamped metal add-on wings instead of cast iron wings, & 110V/15A like my portable.

At $679 it seems like it might be a pretty decent interim saw till I can get a decent 220V / 2 - 3hp table saw.

Any thoughts???

·
Registered
792 Posts
If you can afford the space, watch for a used unisaw. They are pretty solid and they were THE SAW back in the '90s.

Some will have moderate quality fences, but you can usually upgrade those, so there is an upgrade plan available.

I would put general in this category as well, but I don't see a many for sale used.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Delta table saw at lowes, are you talking about the 36-725? Its well worth the price, its a fantastic tool. Ive had mind for getting close to a decade now, and ive got 0 complaints. Its got plenty of power for hobby use, the fence is fantastic, and its just nice to use

·
Registered
95 Posts
The current one at lowes I believe is the 36-725T2, is this the one your asking about?

If so, I bought mine in 2020 when my old craftsman died and it’s been phenomenal. Eventually it will get my old Vega fence but I have found the included fence sturdy and accurate to the point I haven’t been in a rush to install the Vega. I agree the wings are pretty flimsy but a lot of the price difference in the next model up is just those wings from what Delta tells me. I think each one is like $400 when bought aftermarket. If that’s a deal breaker than wait for what you want cause it’s not worth the later expense.

If you can live with the stamped wings (or make your own) than you’ll love the 36-725t2. Added note, some refer to this type of saw as a hybrid saw, it’s a little more enclosed than a contractor saw but not quite as well as a cabinet. That extra enclosure allows for pretty good dust collection in my experience. I have mine hooked to a mid-sized rigid shop vac with dust separator and get very little dust left going elsewhere.

My only complaint about the unit besides the wings is the cast iron top seems to want to rust pretty easily in my environment. Old craftsman had a little haze of rust that wiped off pretty easily but this one wants to rust with the slightest bit of moisture so make sure you keep a protectant on it.

There are some Etsy stores selling zero clearance inserts for them too, The ones I got aren’t available anymore but I’m sure there are others.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Nobody can really say if it’s worth the money, it depends on what you’re comparing it to and what you’ve been used to using. I’ve heard good and bad, most of the complaints center around fences, and power. Universal motors don’t have a huge duty cycle so they are prone to overheating, unlike an induction motor. The other issue is the trunnions, cast iron vs steel, and minor things like stamped wings, plastic handles, etc.

Times, they are a changinging. For about the last 20 years industrial quality machines were within reach for most hobbyists. Not long a go you could buy a 2HP Grizzly hybrid for $875, which I’ve always thought is the best entry level machine out there.

In 2001 I went from a pretty terrible old 70’s vintage C’man to my first “real” machine, a 3HP Jet, on sale for $1200. It was like going from a VW Beetle to a Porsche. I sold that saw a few months ago for $800 - within a couple hours on FB marketplace. And I probably could have gotten $1k. The few used Unisaws etc I see are $1200 and up.

In England and Europe, tablesaws and miter saws are being replaced by track saw systems that employ MFT type tables. Its really quite amazing what can be done with this system and a router.

If I were starting from ground zero, I would give some serious thought to a “tablesawless” shop.

·
Registered
Termite
6,656 Posts
I've seen older craftsman table saws all over Marketplace for $50-$200. Have you considered them?

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Any thoughts? yes, look for a good used table saw. i do like Delta, but the older stuff is better than the newer vintage made in ??? Taiwan I think? i would much rather put that $679 into a good used and well maintained saw, before a new one.

·
Registered
Termite
6,656 Posts
You have to be very careful with then. Some are pretty bad machines..
He can buy many for the prices I've seen..

I think it depends on how much you depend on it. I depend and use mine more than most.. So its not a question of why I need such a saw...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Model #36-725T2 is the current one at Lowes. They had it marked $349 a few weeks ago, went back next day to buy it & was back to $679 :(

Current saw I have is the older version of the Kobalt Model #KT10152 I got it on clearance new in box & it had 4 or 5 things that I liked better on the older model than on the current model. Fence on this thing is horrible, and so is keeping it adjusted, but for rough cuts that don't matter, it works great.

I don't care for buying used, too many unknowns that sometimes don't show themselves till months later... and you don't get warranty coverage on used.

Times, they are a changing. .... Not long a go you could buy a 2HP Grizzly hybrid for $875, which I’ve always thought is the best entry level machine out there.
Probably the saw that I have had my eye on for quite a while now, Grizzly G0771Z 2HP Hybrid with enclosed base $1595 + $189 shipping. Twice in the last 3 years I've had the money to buy it & it was out of stock, then something would happen & no more money by the time it was back in stock.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'm having trouble getting my portable table saw to keep the blade aligned with the miter slot - I'm about ready to try red Loctite.... As such, I definitely want a new table saw before the end of the year, but the one's I would like to buy are too expensive ($1800 - $3000 shipped) & will probably have to wait till end of next year.

Meanwhile I ran across the Delta contractor saw at Lowes for $679. It appears to be built better than any of the other portable saws, has a really solid looking fence, & a 30" rip capacity. Only real downsides I noticed, flimsy stamped metal add-on wings instead of cast iron wings, & 110V/15A like my portable.

At $679 it seems like it might be a pretty decent interim saw till I can get a decent 220V / 2 - 3hp table saw.

Any thoughts???
There is nothing wrong with contractors saws. But they are more difficult to set up than a cabinet saw. With a contractors saw you have to adjust the trunion, going back and forth from under the saw. With a cabinet saw you simply loosen the bolts on the four corners of the top and adjust it. Like was said, I would look for a used cabinet saw myself. You also will be able to get more horsepower, less vibration if that is something you are looking for. Outside of the Unisaw, which is an excellent saw, I would also consider an older Powermatic, Jet, General Machines.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Does say if its 3 phase or single phase
Some of the older 220 saws were 3 phase. I would confirm that it is single phase. See if it is the original motor and make sure it works. Saws have not really changed much. It needs a bit of cleaning up and you will probably be investing in a fence. Whether it is worth it is a personal choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought the 36-725T2 to replace my Craftsman contractor saw and I'm very pleased. You can actually purchase cast iron wings to replace the wings if you so desire. My saw was dead on out of the box and the only set-up it needed was a couple turns of the screws to get the fence completely parallel, but the blade was dead-on to the mitre slots and the table is flat. For me, the draw was that ability to move it outside my garage shop when in heavy use, but still large enough that I'm comfortable making furniture with. Yes, it's a 110v device, but at 15amps, it seems plenty strong enough for my needs anyway. I would recommended spending another $100 for a good blade, however, and order a zero clearance insert as the gap on the factory allows far too much debris to fall below the table.

·
Registered
13,399 Posts

Any thoughts???
There is nothing wrong with stamped, metal wings My old Craftsman has these and I have never felt the need of anything else.

The same comment for 110/120 volts. Never had the need of higher.

George

·
Registered
7 Posts
I even added some aluminum in the form of my router table to mine, lol;
Tire Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

Even made this with it. While not perfect it’s good enough for the wife and you know what they say..”happy wife, happy life”;
Car Hood Tire Vehicle Wood

1 - 20 of 26 Posts