Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking of replacing my old Cman flex drive TS.

I checked out Home Depot for a Ridgid and some of the reviews really put me off on the model they are offering.

Went over to the Lowes site to read about the Porter Cable saw they sell and found this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_510897-52010-36-725_0__?productId=50081568&Ntt=table+saws&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Dtable%2Bsaws&facetInfo=

I know, its not a big 3 phase cabinet saw, but I'm only a weekend warrior wood worker and don't need that much saw.

However if Delta is really back in the saw business and this thing is made in the USA rather than in some place where most people don't get very tall....

Anybody heard anything about this?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was this thread in Power Tools section a while ago: http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/deltas-new-saw-lowes-58042/

I can't offer any other info, I've never even owned a table saw. I'm looking to buy one in the next few months however, so I've been following all the threads and reading all I can.

I'll check that out. Thanx.

I've owned several Delta power tools over the years and have only good things to say about them. If this saw is even close to the quality of my other stuff I'll be getting one soon.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've read conflicting stories about what exactly Delta is up to these days. I don't know anyone with this saw, so I haven't used it or talked to anyone who has... Yet. My shop is almost entirely Delta(Milwaukee), with a smattering of Rockwell and Craftsman(Atlas, King-Seeley), and while I don't normally give anything made in the last 30 yrs the time of day, this really has my interest peaked. Let us know if you pull the trigger on this one. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I kinda want to buy a NEW tool...

WCT

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I took a pretty in depth look at it, and I think it looks like a good saw for the money. The fence brings a lot to it as there aren't any other saws in this price class that have a t square fence.

·
Registered
899 Posts
The stories i hear were that delta was sold to a chinese group or guy. Paid a ton of money but really got just the name only. I have seen the saw at lowes. Looks nice but i have serious doubt it is build in theUSA. I was a huge fan and buyer of Delta. I was buying some old tools from a friend. Not sure if i want to buy the last of it. Considering very very hard to get parts for. If at all.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Might try calling a local well established tool repair place. Thats how i heard about the parts problem.

Their also how i found out the Porter & Cable sold in Home Depot and Lowes are not real P&C.

·
Registered
401 Posts
You guys are lucky to be able to see these saws.....We have 2 Lowes, and a HD here.... Neither has a serious table saw on display, and have no intention of stocking them....
However, Sears does... Steel City, I believe....

Sent to y'all offen' a iPad thing......

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
Don't think a 13 amp (1.24 hp) would do well ripping 1.5" hardwoods, let alone 8/4.
As to the thread title question, I doubt it.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
A lot of the guys do fine ripping on the ridgid r4512 with 14 amps.....a good thin kerf ripping blade can make all the difference. Would 3hp be better? Sure.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If it's like the Craftsman 21833 (the one I have) or the Rigid 4512, it's likely made by Dayton which is also made in Tainese.:eek:

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Don't think a 13 amp (1.24 hp) would do well ripping 1.5" hardwoods, let alone 8/4.
As to the thread title question, I doubt it.
Mine does fine on 8/4, though I do have to go slow. I have the bottom of the line (nearly) craftsman 13 amp saw. I'm sure I'd be much happier with more power but I don't have any real trouble ripping what I need.

I do find myself going to the bandsaw a lot more now that I have the "big" 14 inch one though...

·
Registered
485 Posts
A few months ago I went too the tool repair place to get a belt for my Delta DP 200. They told me they no longer handled Delta tool parts and that DeWalt had bought the company. Don't know what's happened since.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
A few months ago I went too the tool repair place to get a belt for my Delta DP 200. They told me they no longer handled Delta tool parts and that DeWalt had bought the company. Don't know what's happened since.
Your parts guys were sort of correct but are 9 years behind....B&D (DW's parent co.) bought Pentair in 2005. Stanley Tool and B&D merged in 2010. In 2011, SB&D sold off Delta Machinery to Chang Type Industrial Co.

·
Registered
899 Posts
durdyolman said:
Actually Black and Decker owns the DeWalt Porter and cable .Delta

1 - 20 of 28 Posts