Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been spraying their brushing lacquer for as long as I can remember, never failed, cold, wet, hot, humid, dry, always get a superb finish, clear, grain popping really nice.

The main reason was because I could always run to Lowes or Home Depot and grab a can.

PPG industries buys out Deft, no longer available at either home stores, supposed to be stocked by True Value and Ace (told so by an unfriendly PPG receptionist) but they are mostly out of stock other than a few rattle cans.

So, is this the end of the traditional family business started in 1938, due to bean counters buying out the company?

Sigh, that is my rant for the day.:furious:

PS. I mail ordered some of the supposedly highest technology WB coatings from someone else and they sprayed fine. Much more durable in comparison, slightly more difficult to spray and without having fume withdrawal symptoms the next day. But the grain popping and the hand feel is not the same as my old Deft.

·
Registered
26,854 Posts
I think in the not too distant future all solvent coatings will go away. I just hope I'm done with my career before that happens. I once had my business located within the city limits of Dallas and had to move out because the building I was in wasn't sprinkled. This was long before someone concocted global warming. I fought with water based finishes for about three months before I could find another building.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I always get mine from lumber yards. I wouldn't speculate because of Home Depot or Lowes. Both are only shadows of what they once were and mostly sell crap. I think if anyone's number is up, it is them. Just sayin...

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I was curious and checked Lowes website. Only lacquer products are Deft lacquer sanding sealer and rattle cans of lacquer. Looks like they have dropped it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The issue is that PPG has diferent requirements and so forth for their dealers, basically price points I would suspect. In any case they canceled alot of the dealers, Woodcraft, Lowes , Home Depot to name a few.

I see it is on Walmarts web site, but only rattle cans.

HOWEVER , I just had my " DO IT BEST" hardware store get me 6 gallons. As I understand it, they have remained as a dealer, and its not an issue. They said you could order it from their website , but if you order it and have it delivered to a store there is no shipping charges.

In any case I got 6 gallons, ordered 6 more, and no issue. they were here within several days to the store .

·
Registered
679 Posts
My local Lowes still carries the full product line. My first cabinet shop job in the late 50's used it exclusively. I hope it doesn't go away in my lifetime.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I found this while buying spray paint at Lowes.

It looks, smells and tastes like Deft and is less than $5 a can.

I'll be spraying it on some cabinet trim today so I'll post results later.

ForumRunner_20140209_100942.jpg

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Yep, it works :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts