Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my first project, I decided to build a Workshop Hutch imitating the one that Norm made on the New Yankee Workshop show. So far, I have made the carcus. Everything seemed to be perfect, untill I measured the depth of the right and left side and came up with an 1/8 of an inch difference between the two. :thumbdown: Is this a BIG Problem? Will an 1/8 of an inch make it hard to install the drawers? The carcus is already screwed and glued together. :eek: Can I leave it like this? Unless you measure it, you can't tell there is a mistake. When I install the top, it will have a 2 inch reveal and the mistake will be even less noticible. What do you guys suggest? Thanks.:huh:

·
Cabinetmaker
646 Posts
As my first project, I decided to build a Workshop Hutch imitating the one that Norm made on the New Yankee Workshop show. So far, I have made the carcus. Everything seemed to be perfect, untill I measured the depth of the right and left side and came up with an 1/8 of an inch difference between the two. :thumbdown: Is this a BIG Problem? Will an 1/8 of an inch make it hard to install the drawers? The carcus is already screwed and glued together. :eek: Can I leave it like this? Unless you measure it, you can't tell there is a mistake. When I install the top, it will have a 2 inch reveal and the mistake will be even less noticible. What do you guys suggest? Thanks.:huh:
a big problem? YES Hard to install drawers U BETCHA Can I leave it? I would NOT
verify carcase is FLAT AND SQUARE then use framing square, run square line from low point around carcase, plane to line, recheck
then proceed to finish your construction :smile::yes:
JackM

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i found the problem.. The right side is the one that is 1/8 deeper than the other two panels. Is this a mistake that can be fixed by sanding or planing it down to the correct depth or should I just make a new panel?

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
If I am understanding how you are saying it, it is no big deal at all IMHO. 1/8" is WAY out of tolerance when doing most woodworking projects but if it is the depth of the carcass as viewed from the top, it isn't going to effect your drawers, or anyting else for that matter as far as I can gather from your description.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Speaking as a contractor, I have seen very few high end cabinets that were perfectly square.....1/8 inch in depth is nothing to even loose sleep over, IMO.....now if you are a perfectionist, it will keep you awake at nights....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. I will leave it and learn. Do I need to do any mods on the drawers or just do them normally and live with the 1/8 in gap on the inside of the cabinet? Thanks for all your help guys.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Shimming will take care of alignment...as you get into woodworking, you will notice flaws in every piece you see, and how other craftsmen deal with it....99 out of a hundred would never know or see an 1/8 of an inch....woodworking is not practicing machining skills...if it was, we would use micrometers in the wood shop, and not rulers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have to agree with Skymaster. An 1/8" out is a big problem. It can telegraph through the entire project. Correct it while in the carcass stage so that it won't affect drawers, doors, trim, etc. later on as your project progresses. Just starting out, learning to develop checks and balances while you work will pay off as you progress. My shop tolerances are 1/64". I know it sounds extreme but it didn't happen overnight for me either. Practice doesn't make perfect-Perfect practice makes perfect. Just a little advise, throw those plans away and design your own projects you'll learn faster if you have to figure things out on your own, and yours will be orignal not a copy.

Nailgunner7
http://fallentimber.mysite.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts