Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Ipe porch that is in desperate need of sealing/refinishing ... I have no idea what the best products are, so I could really use some advice from someone who has experience/knowledge in this area.

What is a good product to use... that will both provide the best protection, as well as the best longevity?

Really appreciate any help I can get...Thank you!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a couple of Ipe decks, and I've used a product called Penofin (stands for "Penetrating Oil Finish", I believe). It claims to be formulated for hardwoods. The decks look wonderful after application, but by the end of the second summer, it needs to be done again. I don't know of another product that will last much longer, advertising notwithstanding.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I bought a power washer for the job, but I find that a stiff deck brush with some deck cleaner works better.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It is called F-8 with ox-brite here is site for it
I don't think that was the brand and can't tell if it has oxalic or not. It was somenting I bought locally. There are many wood cleaners based on oxalic acid.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Captain--

I'm in Nebraska, but it was Leisel_Spafford who was asking about the deck cleaner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts