Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I'm not sure if this is where I introduce myself, but here goes. I am a retired banker from North Vancouver, B.C., Canada, who has dabbled with woodworking all my life. I retired 9 years ago and have been more earnest about my projects since then. I've done lots of fence building, framing etc. with the odd piece of furniture thrown in for good measure. A few years ago I purchased a lathe and make pens etc. for friends/family. I actually have taken up writing full time and now the wood shop is my hobby; one that I struggle with unfortunately. My Dad recently passed at the age of 98 and left me an almost complete Beaver Lodge. It's old equipment and I seem to spend more time repairing it than using it, but that can be satisfying too. Right now I'm building a wagon for my granddaughter. Anyway, I'm looking forward to entering into the odd discussion. Thanks and all the best to you all.

Sincerely, Eric

·
where's my table saw?
28,556 Posts
welcome neighbor

What exactly is an almost complete beaver lodge? Does the beaver still live inside? Does it care if it's not quite finished? What needs to be done? paneling? wallpaper? Heating and cooling? :blink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A Beaver Lodge is a collection of Beaver or Beaver Rockwell equipment. There are online communities that refer to their shops as Beaver Lodges. I have a Beaver 24" coping saw, a Beaver Rockwell jointer, a Beaver Rockwell lathe and a Beaver Rockwell bandsaw. It's about 40 to 60 years old and heavy cast iron. Solid but temperamental. Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sounds like you probably have some pretty nice equipment and are ready to build almost anything. The older equipment is always the best, when your not having ti fix it! Welcome to the forum.

Eric

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome! Some day I would like to get a little bit of the old stuff and try to rebuild it myself.

Reactions: Ejam

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, it is an experience. I had to dismantle each piece to get it out of my Dad's place and reassemble it at mine. Lot's of fun. My table saw is down now for want of a 1/2" arbor key, which is almost impossible to find. I notice that modern arbor shafts tend to have a flat bit with a set screw in the pulley rather than an arbor key. Amazing how accurate the old stuff is though.

·
where's my table saw?
28,556 Posts
2 types of keyways

Usually an arbor shaft has a square keyway, 3/16" . Sometimes they have a 1/2 moon keyway, an 1/8" thick or so. Which one are you looking for?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
woodnthings said:
Usually an arbor shaft has a square keyway, 3/16" . Sometimes they have a 1/2 moon keyway, an 1/8" thick or so. Which one are you looking for?
Hi woodnthings. It's the half moon key.

Eric

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Welcome from Washington. i have a early 50's 24" delta scrollsaw and 20 " rockwell bandsaw.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Mike1950

The old equipment is great isn't it. Our bandsaws probably look alike. I need to replace the tires as the blade seems to slip. Best.

Eric

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Hey Mike1950

The old equipment is great isn't it. Our bandsaws probably look alike. I need to replace the tires as the blade seems to slip. Best.

Eric
They probably do- I love my bandsaw- It is a cutting machine..........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts