Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to woodworking as a hobby and am teaching myself by reading books, researching online and experimenting. I have set up a basic "shop" with tools, etc. My newest addition arrived today: a Hitachi KM 12VC router. I did considerable research and this seemed like a good starting option. I was excited to get started, however...

I am trying to replace the 1/2" collet with the 1/4" collet so I can actually use it with my new bits. I am beyond frustrated trying to figure this out. I have googled to no avail, looked for youtube videos and there is nothing in the manual, etc. I can unscrew the outer part but the inner part does not come out with it. I don't want to damage the router before I even have a chance to plug it in for the first time!

Admittedly this is my first router, so I may be missing the obvious. Please help! I took a picture of how it looks and hope I followed the directions for posting correctly. I'm thinking the center piece sticking up is supposed to be coming out. Does anyone know what I need to do?

Product Disc brake Machine tool Machine Wheel

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
where's my table saw?
29,616 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
First Welcome Aboard , second I agree with woodnthings here , even some don't have the retainer ring most do , with that been said you should be able to pull it strait out with a little bit of force just by gripping it with a set of needle nose pliers an pull strait, so give it a try an if it doesn't work call the manufacture

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Pulling it out with pliers worked. I then snapped it back into the screw and retainer ring. Appears to be fine. Appreciate the assistance. :icon_smile:

·
Registered
27,642 Posts
Welcome to the club Lisa. You don't have to replace the 1/2" collet. You can use a 1/2" to 1/4" adapter bushing which doesn't have to be the Hitachi brand. The routers harbor freight sells come with the 1/2" collet and a 3/8" and 1/4" adapter bushings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Steve, for that insight as well. I think I am going to find this site very helpful as I move forward. I'm sure I would learn faster by watching somebody do the woodworking, but little by little I will learn by reading and through the generosity of you all sharing your wisdom. Thanks again for the quick help.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Welcome to woodworking. I'm self taught through books - no computers when I started - but this site is great because of the folks that hang out here. If my wife the librarian were posting, she would remind you that the library probably has a decent woodworking collection. Don't forget their magazine collection... and yes, ask on this site.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Tip I can give you is start reading the threads an then ask questions that you are not sure on

1 - 16 of 16 Posts