Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! My name is Cam, and I have been "lurking" around the forum for a few weeks now(primarily the wood turning area). After finally taking the plunge and acquiring some tools for my tiny shop space(about 10' by 12' mud porch), I decided to take another plunge and join this forum. You folks seem by far the friendliest, most helpful and least judgemental group out of all the forums that I browsed. I am a Chef by trade, and have been for around 10 years now. I've always worked with wood(among many other materials) on the side as a hobby, or for the occasional commissioned piece. I am hoping to get more into turning, both utilitarian and artistic pieces. I have no delusions about making money from any of this any time soon. I just enjoy working with my hands. I hope to learn from all of you, and hopefully make a few friends as well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Almost forgot; this is literally the ONLY forum I have ever attempted to participate in, so I will try to be mindful of rules, etiquette, etc. Please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
Hello from Maine & Welcome aboard Cam.
Glad you joined us and never be afraid to jump in with questions.
Although I'm not a "turner" I very much admire the skills required and there's some very skilled folks here to help you out.
Dig around, do some reading, jump in on the conversations & show us a few photos.
Don't be afraid to admit your mistakes.. we ALL make em.!!
Be safe and have fun.
..Jon..

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It's flattering that you'd say the nice things about the forum and our members that you did. There really is a great group of people here. I'm sure you'll feel right at home. I glad you took the plunge. We hope to see some of your work.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Hopefully putting shop together tomorrow. Have some substantial tool assembly(bandsaw, lathe, DC system), but an entire day to dedicate. I've read that "If there aren't photos, it didn't happen", so I hope to provide ample photo documentation of the process and end result. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Welcome Cam from NH - can't say you're doing anything wrong, but judging from you nice intro - be yourself and I'm sure you will be doing everything right. Seems you got our number - I agree - this forum has lots of friendly folks who will not judge and are willing to help.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts