Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My shop doors have seen better days and I'm considering making my own insulated doors out of plywood and sheets of Styrofoam. I was wondering if anyone out there has tried this?

Thanks,
j_ls

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
insulated shop doors

No Steve, I'm talking about simple swing out (if you will) doors. I'm on a very tight budget right now, and thought I could save a good deal of money by making a couple myself. I've got an idea/plan in my head, but thought I'd search around to see if anyone else has done this. I really want a roll-up door but can't afford it until I win the Lottery!

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
You are using the word "doors."

Just what "doors" are you writing about. Is this personnel doors or the main garage door. Is your garage attached or detached. Are you writing about a door(s) that are visible from the street? Side door? Door to house? or what?

George

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No George, I'm talking about swing out(if you will) doors. I'm on a very tight budget right now, and until I win the lottery, the overhead/roll-up type door is out of sight. I'v got an idea/plan in my head, but thought I'd put some feelers out there, to see if anyone else has tried this. Almost forgot, these doors are replacements for my dilapidated doors currently on my shed/workshop. Wish I had a close up picture of their current condition,but I don't
Thanks
j_ls

·
Registered
26,334 Posts
If it were me I would make the frame for the doors out of 2x6's with tongue and groove joints and use 1/2" treated plywood for the panels. If you could find some 2x6 treated wood that has been sitting in the store long enough that it is dry it would be so much the better. I don't believe the insulation would be needed on a wood door. I would either use tenons about 1 1/2" long or suppliment the joint with dowels.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
Woods a terrible insulator, so if keeping it warm is important if insulate if possible.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The 8 foot door in my previous shop was 2x4s framed up like a wall... All PT, including the plywood....
I insulated with ordinary fiberglass.... They were 4 feet wide and folded together... Been there for many years...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Woods a terrible insulator, so if keeping it warm is important if insulate if possible.
To ryan50hrl: Right now, my doors are made of 3/4 ply with braces on top and bottom. They're looking pretty nasty and warped. I'll be sure to frame my next ones' up a lot better I want to insulate because the inside of the shop is insulated both top and sides and I'm trying to prevent too much leakage with the air on in the Summer and the heat on in winter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts