Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to install Accuride vertical full drawer slides. I've read the other responses but remain confused (my common state of mind.)

I'm worried about the width of the drawer being too wide or too narrow. The part of the slide that screws into the cabinet wall: the holes are drilled in U shaped tabs. Is that design so you can bend them out if the drawer is, maybe, a 1/16" too narrow?

I understand I need 1/2" on each side of the drawer to accomodate the slides but is there any room at all for error?

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I am trying to install Accuride vertical full drawer slides. I've read the other responses but remain confused (my common state of mind.)

I'm worried about the width of the drawer being too wide or too narrow. The part of the slide that screws into the cabinet wall: the holes are drilled in U shaped tabs. Is that design so you can bend them out if the drawer is, maybe, a 1/16" too narrow?
That can be used for some adjustment with a slight bending.

I understand I need 1/2" on each side of the drawer to accomodate the slides but is there any room at all for error?
Many of the manufacturers recommend the ½" plus a 1/32" for each side. This would allow for some shimming if necessary.

·
Registered
27,908 Posts
I normally make the drawer ends 2" smaller than the opening and with the metric size of the baltic birch I use the drawer box ends up 1 1/32" smaller than the opening. Making the box too small can be as big a pain as makeing it too big.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just make your drawer box finish out at one inch smaller that the opening, you can be off by about 1/16th bigger or smaller but it will slide smoother if you can get it to within 1/32. Measure twice cut once.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Like Cabinetman said, most side mounted slides require 1/2" plus 1/32", this means the drawers are 1 1/16" less than the opening. This is critical to proper operation. Go to the manufacturers web site and look at the installation instructions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts