Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the finishing stages of a red oak bread box. I settled on barrel hinges and have the holes done.
I had planned on using epoxy but am concerned that the epoxy may muck up the mechanism. I dont think the set screw will hold it well enough. Its not a tight fit (mm hinge vs standard bits)
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Epoxy will work. Just use it sparingly and try not to get it where the hinges show through the barrels. I've done it before by just putting a drop or two into the bottom of the hole, but that only works if you drilled to exactly the right depth.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts

I am in the finishing stages of a red oak bread box. I settled on barrel hinges and have the holes done.
I had planned on using epoxy but am concerned that the epoxy may muck up the mechanism. I dont think the set screw will hold it well enough. Its not a tight fit (mm hinge vs standard bits)
Any suggestions?
I've had that happen. I wouldn't recommend gluing them in, as they may need a final adjustment, or maybe a need to be removed. I just wrapped the barrel with masking tape enough to make them fit tight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts