Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sure someone has already done this, so sorry if I'm being repetitive, but I'd thought I'd share my experience.
Recently decided to add the Wixey WR700 digital fence readout to my Delta 36-725T2 TS. The instructions stated to mount
the sensor rail to the front rail assembly using the included brackets by drilling into the underside of the front rail and using the included self tapping screws.
Looking for a different way to mount the sensor rail without drilling, I decided to try and use the existing screws that hold the fence guide to the front rail.
I assembled the sensor rail, centered it and clamped it in place (it extended past the front rail 0.25" on both ends). The sensor rail butted up perfectly
against the saws' front rail, although I ran into a small problem, the mounting bracket that holds the control/on/off box extends approximately 0.3" past the saws
front rail causing the sensor rail not to sit flush so I just cut off the excess, filed and painted it.

Using the included mounting brackets, I noticed there was an approximate 0.25" gap between the bottom of the bracket and the bottom of the sensor rail. To compensate for this gap, I added four washers which fit perfectly. I then mounted the bracket using the 1/4x20 front rail mounting screw. I did this in four spots along the rail. The sensor rail is snug and I didn't have to drill any unnecessary holes.

Attachments

·
Interested Observer
1,146 Posts
Looks good.

How does it work? I expect with the T2/3 fence and rail system it is a good addition. Cut some stuff. Move it some dimension and cut again. Give a plus/minus report. Might help those that are looking at them.

Well done on the install.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good.

How does it work? I expect with the T2/3 fence and rail system it is a good addition. Cut some stuff. Move it some dimension and cut again. Give a plus/minus report. Might help those that are looking at them.

Well done on the install.
I made a couple of test cuts and the dimensions were spot on, quite happy with the accuracy of this device. I've only had it installed for a couple days so it's hard to give a through report, but so far it is working great. Install took me about two hours, I was figuring it out as I went along, but happy with the outcome. I have two projects coming up and will be using my TS extensively for them. I will be able to give a more in depth report then.

·
CharleyL
337 Posts
I've had one of these installed on my Unisaw with 52" Unifence for about 10 years now (bought shortly after Wixey put them on the market). To mount it, I cut and drilled some 1/2" square tubing to form cantilevers and attached them to the bottom of the extruded aluminum fence rail by drilling and tapping the fence rail. The extrusion for the DRO was then attached upside down (but with the PC strip right side up) to the ends of these 1/2" square cantilevered pipes. I bought an additional extrusion and PC strip from Wixey, so that the readout would work the full width of my saw table and so the readout head wouldn't fall to the floor if I moved the fence to the left of the blade without first disconnecting the readout head from the fence. Because the main fence casting is aluminum, I cut the Wixey supplied magnetic target strip in half and drilled and tapped both it and the sides of the Unifence main casting to attach the target pieces with bolts.

I can set my fence to cut a piece of wood 1" wide with the Wixey DRO, cut the wood to that dimension. Then move the fence away and make some other cuts. Then move the fence back to the 1" position and cut another piece of the same wood as the first cut. Using a digital caliper I can then measure both pieces of the 1" wood and they will be within about 0.003" of each other. I can't imagine needing any woodworking project that requires more accuracy than that. The wood will change in dimension more than that with daily changes in humidity.

Going digital for all of your cutting and measuring will take your woodworking to a whole new level of accuracy. I have Digital Readouts on most of my woodworking power tools now, and I measure mostly with digital calipers, digital height gauges, etc. My projects now always fit together perfectly (if I've cut them correctly). Where digital isn't possible, using stops to allow repeat cut accuracy, results in more accurate assembly. Set the stop position as accurately as possible. Then make all of the duplicate pieces at this same length.

Charley

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thanks for the reports @ppd417 and @CharleyL

I will be getting a Sawstop contractor with the 36" fence and will put a WR700 on it. The sensor strip comes in 2 pieces, understandable to keep shipping length down. Is there any accuracy issue when crossing from strip to the other?

Wixey makes 2 groups of things, hand held/magnetic measuring devices (I have and like several of them) and DROs that you install on a machine, I have one on my DeWalt planer, love it. Have had it on my DW735 for a year, accurate, still using the original batteries. A great feature, even when you turn it off not only does it remember it's calibration, if you move it while off it correctly tracks the new position.

Seems with the installiable Wixeys it is easy to modify them for your machine and preferences, I did that for my planer, simplified it and tucked it in.

·
CharleyL
337 Posts
Wixey provides a little "Bridge" piece that helps you get the spacing right between the strips. There is a tiny hole in the end of each strip that this fits into. The gap can also be covered by a layer of Scotch tape if the readout module doesn't slide over the gap easily. There are also tension adjustments on the back of the module so you can loosen it up a little, but do this carefully since too loose makes it not read accurately. My wide 52" saw table has 3 of these extrusions and strips, so two seams and no problems. I ordered the additional extrusion and strip from Wixey, so I could use the DRO the full distance and on both sides of the saw blade. It also keeps the module from falling off the end of the extrusion to the floor when I slide the fence far to the left past the blade slot.

Charley

1 - 6 of 6 Posts