Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile ago woodnthings posted a sled for truing up a piece of wood with irregular side. I constructed a similar sled using 1/4" plywood 65" long and 5" wide with a stiff back from a 1" X" 2 and toggle clamps. I made this size because this is the lengths I most frequently use. As you can see the wood does not need to be butted up against the stop. I may add additional toggles in the future. The toggles make good handles while pushing the stock thru the blade.

Wood Table Floor Plywood Hardwood

I made a slight modification by attaching a 1/4" ply to the table top so the piece of wood would not sag while I was straightening the edge. I attached the ply with double sided tape. This plywood gives it good support while cutting the edge. I was concerned that the weight of the wood would tilt and cause the edge to not cut square. I cut about 50 board feet with this jig and cut my time by 75%. Before I was jointing the rough edge by making as many as 4 passes across the jointer.

Wood Table saw Tool Hardwood Panel saw

Here you can see the sled and the support ply taped to the TS.

Wood Tool Jointer Table saws Machine

This sled is very easy to make provided you have the toggle clamps which I purchased from HF after seeing woodnthings sled. This is really a time saver.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Awhile ago woodnthings posted a sled for truing up a piece of wood with irregular side. I constructed a similar sled using 1/4" plywood 65" long and 5" wide with a stiff back from a 1" X" 2 and toggle clamps. I made this size because this is the lengths I most frequently use. As you can see the wood does not need to be butted up against the stop. I may add additional toggles in the future. The toggles make good handles while pushing the stock thru the blade.

I especially like the toggles... Great project / jig here! :thumbsup:

Also... Another +1 for Woodnthings and the advice / tips he provides here... :yes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts