Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile ago woodnthings posted a sled for truing up a piece of wood with irregular side. I constructed a similar sled using 1/4" plywood 65" long and 5" wide with a stiff back from a 1" X" 2 and toggle clamps. I made this size because this is the lengths I most frequently use. As you can see the wood does not need to be butted up against the stop. I may add additional toggles in the future. The toggles make good handles while pushing the stock thru the blade.

IMG_20130602_135049_197 (Copy).jpg

I made a slight modification by attaching a 1/4" ply to the table top so the piece of wood would not sag while I was straightening the edge. I attached the ply with double sided tape. This plywood gives it good support while cutting the edge. I was concerned that the weight of the wood would tilt and cause the edge to not cut square. I cut about 50 board feet with this jig and cut my time by 75%. Before I was jointing the rough edge by making as many as 4 passes across the jointer.

IMG_20130602_135106_924 (Copy).jpg

Here you can see the sled and the support ply taped to the TS.

IMG_20130602_135144_950 (Copy).jpg

This sled is very easy to make provided you have the toggle clamps which I purchased from HF after seeing woodnthings sled. This is really a time saver.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Awhile ago woodnthings posted a sled for truing up a piece of wood with irregular side. I constructed a similar sled using 1/4" plywood 65" long and 5" wide with a stiff back from a 1" X" 2 and toggle clamps. I made this size because this is the lengths I most frequently use. As you can see the wood does not need to be butted up against the stop. I may add additional toggles in the future. The toggles make good handles while pushing the stock thru the blade.

I especially like the toggles... Great project / jig here! :thumbsup:

Also... Another +1 for Woodnthings and the advice / tips he provides here... :yes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts