Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with the sale going on there’s only a $40 difference between the G1023RL with 7’ rails with legs, base with extension base and the G0691 with base and extension base (with the 1023 being the $40 more).

I also priced the G1023RLW with 7’ rails with legs, base and extension but that’s $180 more then the 691 so I’m not sure that would be worth it just for the router table extension.

I cut enough sheet material I HAVE to have the extension.

...and I’ve heard the 1023RLX doesn’t have a good extension table so I left it out.

SOMEONE HELP ME MAKE THE DECISION. I KNOW I PROBABLY WONT REGRET EITHER BUT I WANT TO FEEL MORE DEFINITIVE BEFORE I PURCHASE.

I am leaning towards the 1023RL but if someone tells me that having the larger cast iron table of the 691 overcomes my leanings to the 1023 I might be swayed.

I’m leaning more to the 1023 primarily because:
1. It’s been their long standing saw and is basically their newest one having gone through an “major” upgrade in 2010.
2. The motor would be an easier repair compared to the Leeson motor which would need to be completely removed to repair should it fail due to the interior something or other.
3. They said the serpentine belt offers a smoother drive (and their moving some of their other tools to it).
4. The know raising and lowering stays where it needs to better (based on a discussion with Grizzly).

Okay….............GO!

·
Registered
27,311 Posts
I like the color of the G0691 better but the G1023RL has 3" more rip capacity. If you do any work with a molding cutter the G0691 has 300 more rpm. Not much difference between the two.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I cannot comment on the 691 but I have the 1023 and love it. I am a low volumn hobbist but I couldn't be happier with the saw!!

Best of luck either way :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I can't offer any advice but I do have 6 months experience with the 1023RLW. Nothing but good things to say about this saw...and cast iron router table. I have a small garage so I had no way of using the wide rails.

I don't think you can go wrong with either saw...so good luck.
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought the G1023RLW and have not had any regrets, more thn enough power and it is far superior than my old craftsman. You cant go wrong with either one but I liked the features on the 1023 better, my opinion only.
Toolfreak

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For you gents that bought the 1023RLW, was it worth the extra $100 for the saw plus $50 for shipping? Why?

·
Registered
243 Posts
For you gents that bought the 1023RLW, was it worth the extra $100 for the saw plus $50 for shipping? Why?
Sorry, I bought mine about 2 years age. I cannot remember what the pricing differential, if any, there was then. I seem to remember that at the time the 1023 had some updated feature that the 691 hadn't yet received.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I'd double check the allegations against the extension table on the 1023RLX before completing ruling it out. There's an awful lot of misinformation on the internet....typos, partial info, incorrect info, etc. It's also pretty easy to add a better extension on your own. If the saw suits your needs, and has the features you prefer, it seems a fairly minor negative to me. One of the veteran techs from Griz's tech line might be able to give you some honest insights about the saws.

·
7,222 Posts
You should decide for yourself whether the extra is worth it.

The G0691 has a magnetic switch which I feel is preferred. It has an extra 1/8in depth of cut which now and again is handy. It has 12in rip to the left of the blade.

If I were looking at these two table saws, I would likely go for the G0691.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
When I bought my saw, it was on sale. I don't recall anything about extra $50 for shipping other than you almost have to buy the lift gate service if it is being delivered to your home or business without a loading dock.

The driver unloaded my saw, and he and I used the pallet jack to get it up the inclined driveway and into my garage. 474# shipping weight for that carton alone.

I would highly recommend that you get a mobile base for whichever saw you buy. You can thank me later. :)

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts