Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Woodworkers forum,

I'm about to start on my next big woodworking project: a custom Kitchen Pantry. I've already finished a custom kitchen island over a year ago, and it turned out fantastic, however that one had a little more solid wood bracing the 3/4 plywood sides.

So below are my designs, and some notes, can anyone here take a quick peak and tell me if there is anything i should be concerned about? Do i need to add some solid wood corner joints to the back to further strengthen the back corners, or really i'm worrying for nothing and this thing will be solid as a rock.

1. The Left, Right, and back side are 3/4 Veneer Plywood
  2. All joints are 1/4 tongue and groove and glue, pretty much no mechanical fastners
  3. Face frame is solid oak, left and right sides are tongue and grooved into the front face
  4. back piece is tongue and grooved into the left and right piece
  5. There will be a solid top that the entire piece will be tongue and grooved into.
  6. There is also a fully glued section near the top (top door) so it will have a full square tight bond there

Also attached is the sketchup for those who want to take a closer look. Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
26,313 Posts
The 3/4" plywood is structurally sufficient without the bracing. It's a waste of time and materials even with Chinese plywood. The drawing appears the cabinet is narrow, if it's more than 24" wide you might put a strip of 3/4"x 1 1/2" solid wood on the edge of shelves. On longer shelves especially loaded down with can goods the shelves might sag.

The back, I would just use 1/4" plywood and glue and nail it on. Once the cabinet is installed there won't be any side to side movement so a 3/4" back is a waste.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the input!

Sorry i did indeed forget to include dimensions, it's roughly 8 ft tall, 20 inches wide, 30 inches deep.

Steve, can you clarify by what you mean of "strip on the edge of the shelves"? Which edge?

The shelves are 4/4 (3/4") solid oak (except the bottom which is 1/2 inch ply with veneer, tongue and grooved on all edges). So do you think with holding heavy items such as Cans and such, the 1/2 inch ply may bend that maybe i should consider putting 3/4 ply instead (i'll probably have the material, losing 1/4 inch won't hurt my design). However the sagulator shows there would only be a .02 inch sag if 200 lbs was put on the shelf in the middle, so i'm thinking it's fine.

Appreciate it guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts