Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made this for a friend, who is a fellow Triumph rider. Background veneer is Walnut burl, letters are Fiddleback Anigre, and there is a solid Walnut border.

This is all cut out by hand with an X-acto knife.

First I cut out the letters:

Then, tape the letters down where you want them to go:

Trace around with the x-acto knife. Make sure to not try and go through in one pass, as you will mess up your line, guaranteed:

Then, you inlay the letters, trimming small amounts if it's not a perfect fit. Add veneer tape over all the seams:

Repeat for all the other letters:

This is what the back side will look like:

After gluing it down to some ply for a substrate, sand off all the tape and you get to see a preview of the final product so far:

The first coat of finish really makes everything pop:

Add a solid walnut border, and you are done. Don't forget to veneer the back side of your panel so that it won't cup or warp:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. This went a lot smoother than I was expecting. I tried to do another veneer project about a week ago, and it didn't go nearly as smoothly, so I gave up.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
VERY NICE work.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you guys. The problem is, now my parents want one to hang up on their boat with the Boat's name and such on it. Just goes to show you that you can't show off your work to family or friends or else they all want some.

·
Chester's Gorilla
1,282 Posts
Thank you guys. The problem is, now my parents want one to hang up on their boat with the Boat's name and such on it. Just goes to show you that you can't show off your work to family or friends or else they all want some.
True dat. Queue the project list.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Awesome veneer sign! The letters look perfect against the gorgeous walnut burl. Clean and beautiful work, no wonder if the all the family members and friends want one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts