Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about building a new inexpensive work bench to replace the one I have made out of 2x4 and 2x8 syp the one I made was quick crude and made for a small shed but now I have a shop to work in and need something bigger and flatter.

I saw a bench HD sells for 69.99 but want something wider
My idea is to make it kind of like theirs.
I am thinking of framing it with syp 2x4's then putting a oak or birch plywood top on it and finish it with poly but am also consider making it a a mdf top with thing hardboard on top of that so if it gets jacked up I can just replace the hardboard and use mdf for the shelf underneath. What is y'all's opinion of that? Specifically the top? If I had the money id make an all maple bench but that just isn't in the finances

·
Registered
28,388 Posts
I think a work bench made from 2x4's with a plywood top would work well for you. I don't believe I would go the expense for oak plywood. The oak veneer isn't going to give you any extra strength. Until recently I had never put a finish on a work bench. After having finished one with polyurethane I can't say it improved it any. Glue still sticks to the surface as you can't keep from scratching the finish. I wouldn't recommend using mdf for the top. You can't really keep it from getting wet and it gets fuzzy from water pretty quick.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve Neul said:
I think a work bench made from 2x4's with a plywood top would work well for you. I don't believe I would go the expense for oak plywood. The oak veneer isn't going to give you any extra strength. Until recently I had never put a finish on a work bench. After having finished one with polyurethane I can't say it improved it any. Glue still sticks to the surface as you can't keep from scratching the finish. I wouldn't recommend using mdf for the top. You can't really keep it from getting wet and it gets fuzzy from water pretty quick.
If I used 3/4 mdf then put 1/4 hardboard on top of the mdf do you think that would be fine. I thought the mdf would be inexpensive and sturdy then the hardboard covering the mdf as the top is cheap smooth and can be replaced after it gets too torn up

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think maybe OSB before I use MDF, it will take a lot more abuse and tolerate getting wet much better then MDF, 4x8 sheet of 5/8" OSB is about $15 and then top it off with some 1/4" hardboard, then cover up the edges with some 1x2 flush to the top of the hardboard. Don't glue the hard board just use 1" drywall screws countersunk.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GoNavy429 said:
I think maybe OSB before I use MDF, it will take a lot more abuse and tolerate getting wet much better then MDF, 4x8 sheet of 5/8" OSB is about $15 and then top it off with some 1/4" hardboard, then cover up the edges with some 1x2 flush to the top of the hardboard. Don't glue the hard board just use 1" drywall screws countersunk.
Thanks man I'll try that out. Much more affordable

·
Registered
212 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hardboard always reminded me of MHF. I just figured it was HDF. Is it not?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hardboard always reminded me of MHF. I just figured it was HDF. Is it not?

When I say hardboard, I was thinking this stuff below, it will take an amazing amount of abuse and cheap enough to replace if necessary, but probably won't need too. My bench on either side of my miter saw is better then 30 yrs old and still doesn't need to be replaced, got lots of stains and a few nicks, but it is still flat and slick.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_15486-46498...rrentURL=?Ntt=hardboard+wall+panel&facetInfo=

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GoNavy429 said:
When I say hardboard, I was thinking this stuff below, it will take an amazing amount of abuse and cheap enough to replace if necessary, but probably won't need too. My bench on either side of my miter saw is better then 30 yrs old and still doesn't need to be replaced, got lots of stains and a few nicks, but it is still flat and slick. http://www.lowes.com/pd_15486-46498-SS2204825_0__?productId=3014311&Ntt=hardboard+wall+panel&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dhardboard%2Bwall%2Bpanel&facetInfo= .
That's the stuff I'm talking about! Glad to hear someone else has used it and has had good results. Kind of a relief for me lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have one bench that i did with double MDF to make 1.5" thick top banded with maple and i finished it off with regular countertop laminate. ( I had 8' of "granite" left over from a job). The laminate is 4 yrs old now and still looks fine. Any glue i just let dry and take a 6" shaprened spackle knife to ...it pops right off , a damp rag and ready to work again. I ,m actually amazed this has held up so well, but so far,,pretty bullet proof

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.