Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1000SE that I bought about 2 years ago. It is an awesome mitre gauge but I have one issue with it. There is a 90 degree bracket that is used to mount the mitre gauge face to the base (see image). This bracket is nowhere near being square which means that the face of the gauge that you hold your workpiece against leans back toward you. This is fine when you are cross cutting flat boards. When you are cutting tall boards or doing finger joints you're in trouble. I work in a manufacturing facility so I plan on having one of the toolroom guys grind the faces perpendicular. I was only wondering if anyone had the same problem with their 1000SE. I called Incra and they just kind of blew me off like it was supposed to be that way. Anyway, if they won't make it right, I will.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have the 2000

and it was the same way. I don't use this to support tall pieces but nonetheless, like you, I also felt it needed to be square with the table so I fabricated a replacement.

Ed

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Being a Manufacturing Engineer I was very disapointed with this inaccurate piece. They could easily make this bracket out of a piece of extruded aluminum for not much more money and have a much better product. Quite honestly I would be willing to pay more to get a quality tool. In all other ways it is dead on accurate.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Hi Ken - Is the bracket at a uniform angle? If so, you could probably use some shims or washers to square the face up. You shouldn't have to, but it could be an easy fix.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I wouldn't think it would have to be machined square. It's just stamped out steel. I would take it off and mess with it. Clamp it in a vice and hammer on it gently until you get it square.

·
Cabinetmaker
646 Posts
Ken; I think this is a better plan http://www.right-tool.com/shopfoxrigan.html
Trying to go verticle and referencing off a stamped plate that is only approx 1/2" to which your fence is attached I believe is beyond reason.
Even If you can get it square within 30 decimal points, just attaching the fence is going to knock you off. The above jig is a better way to go, doesnt have to be that one but you will get the idea. LOL steal one off a Bridgeport at work LOL LOL.OOOops I mean borrow
Merry Christmas:laughing:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had one of our toolmakers mill the bottom surface of the angle bracket perpendicular to the front face. Tonight I put everything back together and it is perfect!:thumbsup: Now I have a tool that is really usable. The angled fence was always screwing me up. Now all I have to do is buy breakfast for the toolmaker who fixed it for me. A small price to pay for accuracy.:laughing:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He only had to machine .005" off the bottom face to clean it up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts