Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the incra miter gauge with telescoping fence.... Not sure the model number off hand.... I am making plywood boxes for cabinets .... The cabinets I am on now are 12" deep and 30" long.... Should I use my incra to do the crosscuts or make a crosscut sled? They will fit on the gauge with the flip stop.... What would be the pros and cons of using the miter gauge vs crosscut sled? I am going to build a sled but do I need to stop my project to do so?... Thanks guys

·
where's my table saw?
28,738 Posts
not necessary

Just make certain the crosscut is a perfect 90 degrees.
Make a cut on a 12" piece then flip the cutoff over and butt it up to the keeper piece. It should form a straight line. If not, adjust the gauge until you get one. A sled would be great right now and it will take a few hours, if you have the time. But that's one of the better miter guages, so either way would work.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Since you asked. Build the sled. It's going to work better and safer. It's a great miter gauge but the sled will be easier because the wood doesn't slide on the TS.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill I looked and mine is the 1000se also.... And it is like .002 from perfect.... Lucky really.... I used the 5 cut and determined this

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sled is the most repeatable

I set my sled to William Ng's video on Youtube.
I was able to achieve .0001 (actually measured it) and I am getting perfect squares. I am trying to get my Incra perfect for box making but that is proving to be a challenge. I a within a few hundredths but the error still is apparent in tall boxes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts