Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently made my first set of Incra hinges out of wood for some box's that I am building. I want to make a Jig or set of Jigs to make uniform repeatable cuts with the router to make the mortise to mount the hinges. Any one already made these or have any ideas before I start from scratch? I have a pretty good idea on how to make the Jig but I am always open to advise.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not sure why no one responded to this post. Did I say something wrong or ask a bad question? Anyone with experience with the incra hinge system I would appreciate the help.

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
Sorry, Chris. No experience with the I-Jig here.
How were you wanting to mount them?

·
Registered
834 Posts
I used peach trees hinged mortising jig item # 3262 to cut exactly what your talking about and it worked great. While I'm sure there's a lot of other ways to do this. This is the one I chose.

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
If you have a set of bushings, cut the jig the size of one 'wing' of the hinge plus the thickness of the bushing. Then set your depth and go.

·
(clever wood pun here)
979 Posts
Hmmm, I guess I don't do enough hinges to build a jig for the mortises. I usually just mark them out using my incra t-rule. I use a chisel to chop the outside edge to partial depth and clear out the bulk free hand with my plunge router. Then I just clean up the rest with a chisel. It doesn't take long and I am pretty satisfied with the accuracy :thumbsup:.

Do you plan to just glue the wooden hinges into a mortise or do you plan any kind of mechanical joint as well? You could cut the edges of the hinge plate with a dovetail but and cut the mortise with the same bit so it slides into place as just one idea.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I build a lot of boxes and have used brusso quadrant hinges in the past. Which I haves template to use a router to cut the box for a perfect fit every time. This will be the first wooden hinge I use. And I have about 10 identical sets to cut and mount with glue only. I plan to use it again in the future so I was hoping to make a jig. I will also use one brusso stop hinge on the side to hold the top from opening past 90 degrees. The humidor's are all made from expensive wood and take a very long time to get to the point that they are ready for hinges. No room for mistakes! This will be my project for the weekend. I will check out peach tree and I like the idea of the dovetail for future use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts