Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Cedar Box Maker
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in the market for a new band saw. I've got to have one that will resaw 8 or 9 inch boards. I've been looking at the Grizzly 17" 2 HP Bandsaw, Anniversary Edition and the Rikon 14" Deluxe Bandsaw. There is only about 85 dollars difference between the two(see note below), since both are on sale now. My question to you is; Which bandsaw, in your opinion, is the best or better investment. I think the Rikon is made overseas but not sure and I think the Grizzly is made in the USA.
Please give me your opinions and why. Thanks in advance for your comments. :smile:

Note; The Rikon says it comes with a resaw fence. The Grizzly you have to buy the resaw fence extra.

Here are the links;
http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-2-HP-Bandsaw-Anniversary-Edition/G0513ANV

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/20...nt=RIKON+Bandsaw+9-17&utm_campaign=09/17/2013

·
I can use that!
44 Posts
I'm in the market, too, and checked some reviews on the Rikon just now. At least for their 10" and 12" models, it almost looks like any other brand would be better. Lots of complaints about adjustments to wheels, blade guides, etc. Be interested to see what folks here on the forum have to say.

Based on reviews alone, the Grizzly looks like a better deal except for this review that says the fence is junk. He says buy a Jet fence to upgrade:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R32LHP952M1RKZ/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R32LHP952M1RKZ

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
the griz is made overseas, just like the rikon. they are both good tools and one of th ebest tool swaps i ever made was ditching an 18" jet BS for a rikon 10-340 BS (it's a beast). the choice comes down, IMHO, to the preferring 14" CI wheels or 17" cast aluminum wheels. the primary other difference is the 1/2 hp larger motor of the griz. griz offers a 1 year guaranty and i can't get to the rikon website right now to check what their new tool policy is. the 10-325 is one of the best 14" BSs offered today based on the numerous posts i've seen on 5 other WW forums.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I own a 14" grizz G0555P with the 6" extension that lets me resaw 8" lumber and its a great saw.

That said, if the Rikon's pricing was close to the grizzly at the time I bought mine, I'd have gotten the Rikon.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have the 0555LX Grizz (no riser yet), and it is a very nice saw.
Good customer support from Grizz, parts are available.
Whatever ya get, buy some good blades.
Bill

·
Registered
909 Posts
I haven't had it a year yet, so take my advice with salt, but you should also check out the Craftsman 14"; it is he same as the Rikon 10-321and even accepts the Rikon fence.

·
7,222 Posts
I have the Grizzly G0513 purchased shortly after they came out with this model, I think in the late 1990's. I have been happy with the machine.

The Grizzly blandsaw blade which came with the unit was not very good. I replaced with Timberwolf blades, which Grizzly now sell.

I have no experience with the Rikon.

I think my Grizzly was made in Taiwan. A lot of Grizzly production moved to mainland China.

·
Cedar Box Maker
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just throwing this out there. Not sure how much it would be to ship this one to you, but I have this same resaw and it's a great saw. I talked w/ the guy selling it and he said it still has the original blade (hardly ever used, still like new). These things were around $3500 new.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f23/hitachi-resaw-55330/
Thanks, mattk8715
WOW, that is quite a saw. But I think I'll pass on that one. I'll also use the one I buy as other bandsaw jobs also, not just resawing. :thumbsup:

·
Newb
26 Posts
http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0513x2/images/ I bought this model earlier this year and could not be happier. Smooth as silk, passes the nickel test
every time. I mostly use Timberwolf blades and I use the Woodslicer blade for resawing. Plenty of power to cut thru hard maple, oak etc..
This will be the last band saw I buy.
That is a nice looking machine! Do it have a mobile base or option? I don't have much space and will need to move it around sometimes.

·
Registered
198 Posts
jtmorrow said:
That is a nice looking machine! Do it have a mobile base or option? I don't have much space and will need to move it around sometimes.
I have the G0513X2 as well.. It is on a Woodriver mobile base from Woodcraft. I originally had it on a Jet mobile base but it was very unstable. The Woodriver with a 3/4" plywood base is rock solid and easy to move if needed. I also agree with the other comments on this saw. I've resawn 8" hard maple with a timberwolf blade and it went through it like a hot knife through butter.

Attachments

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I have the Grizzly 514 (?) model. It is an absolutely great band saw. It is the 19" model and has a foot brake. It is a really, really good saw.

Reactions: DerlC

·
Cedar Box Maker
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have the G0513X2 as well.. It is on a Woodriver mobile base from Woodcraft. I originally had it on a Jet mobile base but it was very unstable. The Woodriver with a 3/4" plywood base is rock solid and easy to move if needed. I also agree with the other comments on this saw. I've resawn 8" hard maple with a timberwolf blade and it went through it like a hot knife through butter.
Thanks BigBadBuford, thats exactly what I wanted to hear about the G0513X2. I think I will get the G0513ANV 17" 2 HP Bandsaw, Anniversary Edition. Can you point me to the Woodriver mobile base and the timberwolf blade, like maybe a link? :thumbsup:
Not ready to get it yet, still saving money. Maybe before Christmas! :yes:

·
Cedar Box Maker
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

·
Registered
102 Posts
What I am interjecting has nothing to do with either models/manufacturers that were listed in your posting, but I just (about a month ago) purchased a very nice 14" bandsaw. It is the Steel City (model 50130) 1-1/2HP granite deluxe bandsaw, which comes READY for 12" resaw WITHOUT the need for extra cash outlay for riser block. It also features an integrated mobile base, and is solid as a rock. It regularly sells for $899.00 (though I got mine at a sales price of $699.00) and, again, it is an awesome bandsaw.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Thanks Crusader, Looks like some good information. I bookmarked both websites.:yes::thumbsup:
Oh, BTW what is the nickel test?
this is a nickel test (note the nickel to the left of the BS blade):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67s4qtbxHsk

good choice on the BS. either of the subject units are good choices. just don't saddle it with those pathetic timberwolf blades. here's the same BS as in the nickel test video months before with a new timberwolf blade. notice the blade oscillating towards, and away from, the operator's position:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrxBP8YBKYM

that oscillatory motion causes the saw to vibrate and vibration is a contributing factor to irregular and imprecise BS cuts. it also wreaks havoc on the saw's thrust bearings. the nickel test video is done with a new 1/2" 3 TPI .025" lennox blade from iturra design. even after an authorized jet dealer with a repair shop messed up the alignment of the saw's wheels, just replacing the defective (misaligned weld) timberwolf blade smoothed out the saw's operation to the point where it would operate with a nickel standing on it's edge, even with non-coplanar wheels.

iturra's blades aren't as inexpensive as the timberwolf blades (there's a reason t-wolf runs 4 for the price of 3 sales, and it's not because they are producing properly welded blades), but they are, IMHO, more than worth the additional costs. woodslicers from highland WW are also very well received in the WW community.

Reactions: DerlC
1 - 20 of 31 Posts