Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Just call me Sir
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have posted this in the turning section but thought i would drop it here as well might get better help thanks. LB.

Okay im in the dog house, done a small goblet the other day and the base still retain a minute bit of mosture it was also spaltered bit punky, so gave it a bit of thin superglue then a bit of sanding. The problem is i put it on a mahogany side unit and has now got a white round mark left, wife found it when she came to polish, not sure where she is going to shove the polish now. Any thoughs on how to remove it. HELP ..LB

·
Registered
801 Posts

·
Just call me Sir
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, sanding it out i can think of but i was hoping to find a way around without resorting to a big job of sanding and refinishing as it is an expensive piece, hence the do or die bit. cheers

·
Registered
70 Posts
sometimes i have removed marks as you describe by using denatured alcohol,and LIGHTLY wiping so as just to leave a whispy tail that evaporates quickly,it works well on heat marks (often look like water marks),some times it takes several applications,what it does is to clean the surface and open the finish ever so slightly so as to allow it to reclarify,worth tryingg before sand paper

·
Registered
714 Posts
sometimes i have removed marks as you describe by using denatured alcohol,and LIGHTLY wiping so as just to leave a whispy tail that evaporates quickly,it works well on heat marks (often look like water marks),some times it takes several applications,what it does is to clean the surface and open the finish ever so slightly so as to allow it to reclarify,worth tryingg before sand paper

Welcome Aboard!! :eek: :eek: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Just call me Sir
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Charles thanks will try this when i find it, funny was reading about this the other day, denatured alcohol for use with drying out greentimber, so was looking for the stuff. will try anything rather than going made with the rough stuff, its a bit to expensive bit of furniture and to highly a finish to do to much to so hope this might do the trick, was more what i was hoping for, thanks guys....i might just live a bit longer..LB

http://www.shapewood.co.uk

·
Registered
714 Posts
Charles thanks will try this when i find it, funny was reading about this the other day, denatured alcohol for use with drying out greentimber, so was looking for the stuff. will try anything rather than going made with the rough stuff, its a bit to expensive bit of furniture and to highly a finish to do to much to so hope this might do the trick, was more what i was hoping for, thanks guys....i might just live a bit longer..LB

http://www.shapewood.co.uk
If your piece was finished with shellac, you could just take some shellac, of the proper color (or maybe just Blonde), and wipe some over the bad spot to get it looking as NEW!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts