Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Kris
14 Posts
Hi All,

I have a query to those in the know about kiln drying hardwoods.

First of all a bit of background;

Two years ago I built a completely insulated chamber to dry ash boards. The chamber is 8’ long x5’ wide x 7’ tall.

I solely dry 1”x10”x 40" ash boards.

The purpose of this chamber is to dry the ash boards down to about 12% moisture from usually green(30-40% moisture).

My drying process is very simple, I have an industrial grade dehumidifier, heat pump with thermostat which keep the temperature at a steady 35 degrees and a household fan to circulate the air around the chamber into the dehumidifier.

There is NO exhaust system to bring in air from the outside. The chamber is COMPLETELY sealed. I know this is not proper practice but at the moment the kiln works fine for my purposes.

At the moment I am able to dry 250 board foot of ash from green down to 12% moisture in about two and a half weeks. There is capacity for at least double the board foot of ash boards in the kiln. If I put more in at the moment the air becomes completely saturated with water and no drying takes place for a much longer period of time than two weeks (almost a month)

My Question;

Is there any way I can improve the design of my kiln to be able to dry the full 500 board foot of the kiln without increasing the drying the time (or maybe even decreasing it).

Thanks for reading and if you need any clarification on anything please ask. Any advice would be much appreciated :smile2:

·
Registered
26,214 Posts
Hi All,

I have a query to those in the know about kiln drying hardwoods.

First of all a bit of background;

Two years ago I built a completely insulated chamber to dry ash boards. The chamber is 8’ long x5’ wide x 7’ tall.

I solely dry 1”x10”x 40" ash boards.

The purpose of this chamber is to dry the ash boards down to about 12% moisture from usually green(30-40% moisture).

My drying process is very simple, I have an industrial grade dehumidifier, heat pump with thermostat which keep the temperature at a steady 35 degrees and a household fan to circulate the air around the chamber into the dehumidifier.

There is NO exhaust system to bring in air from the outside. The chamber is COMPLETELY sealed. I know this is not proper practice but at the moment the kiln works fine for my purposes.

At the moment I am able to dry 250 board foot of ash from green down to 12% moisture in about two and a half weeks. There is capacity for at least double the board foot of ash boards in the kiln. If I put more in at the moment the air becomes completely saturated with water and no drying takes place for a much longer period of time than two weeks (almost a month)

My Question;

Is there any way I can improve the design of my kiln to be able to dry the full 500 board foot of the kiln without increasing the drying the time (or maybe even decreasing it).

Thanks for reading and if you need any clarification on anything please ask. Any advice would be much appreciated :smile2:
I'm going to move your thread to the forestry forum where it will probably be seen more.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts