Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Penrose stairs, also known as the impossible staircase, is a two-dimensional depiction of a staircase in which the stairs make four 90-degree turns as they ascend or descend yet form a continuous loop. Although the staircase is conceptually impossible, it does interfere with your perception since it looks like a person could climb forever and never get any higher.

Watching the video is the easiest way to see how it works. I’ve included a drawing which is linked in the video description.

Build shown here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Impossible-Staircase/

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
That is cool. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Rustic furniture
1,197 Posts
That is the origination.
M.C. Escher, I think from the 30's and 40's.
He failed in school, yet did some of the most unique point perspective drawings I have ever seen. He would do 11 and 13 point perspectives. Best I could ever do in Architectural was 7 point. So he was a mathematical genius in that realm.

·
Rustic furniture
1,197 Posts
That is the origination.
M.C. Escher, I think from the 30's and 40's.
He failed in school, yet did some of the most unique point perspective drawings I have ever seen. He would do 11 and 13 point perspectives. Best I could ever do in Architectural was 7 point. So he was a mathematical genius in that realm.
Once you go past a certain number of points the perspective warps and distorts.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The Escherian Stairwell does not exist. It cannot exist. The whole idea behind this was to build a myth. The myth was that the stairway actually DOES exist. Click the link below and watch the bottom video.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/technology/escherian.asp

Drawings, on the other hand, do exist, as well as the two-dimensional models and the original poster showed. Pretty cool stuff I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.