Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,240 Posts
My father always sharpened his bits free hand. I used to be able to do that but am now completely out of practice.

·
Premium Member
6,211 Posts
I bought one to sharpen my smaller bits, I find it works okay. I still prefer sharpen my larger bits that are big enough to see what I'm doing by hand.

It takes a lot of sharpening to justify the cost. I use numbered and letter drills quite a bit drilling steel so do sharpen a lot of different sizes, if it was only to sharpen small fractional bits to drill wood it would likely be cheaper to buy the bits in bulk and throw the dull ones away.

·
Registered
291 Posts
When I realized I had about a 100 dull bits in my dull bit can, I started checking around for a used Drill Doctor. Hardly used 750 for $50...:thumbsup:

·
novice wood hacker
514 Posts
I have one that sharpens split point bits and I love it. Only way I know of to sharpen split point bits yourself.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I used to own a pro($500) drill bit sharpener. After using that, all the plastic parts on a drill doctor just puts me off. I understand that they work ok. I just freehand or replace them.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I've had one available for about 20 years, gave it to my Dad one fathers day. I inherited it back when he passed. The only thing is it doesn't work with the deWalt bullet tip bits or brad points but a regular twist bit only takes a few seconds. Great company too, they also make the Worksharps.:smile:

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks...

I probably will never reach a break even point cost wise. But, since I've decided to get it, I will know if I use it that the drills are sharp.

and now it is not clear I have any sharp bits.

:smile:

Alan

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I've had one for, perhaps, 10 years.

The Drill Doctor is so good that when a drill bit becomes dull in the middle of a project, I'll stop and sharpen the drill bit.

And, I've yet to see a brand new sharp twist drill bit.

·
John
3,028 Posts
Actually, just to tack onto Rich's post a bit. You can even fix most broken bits. As long as it isn't broken off to short, I've put a "sorta" tip on a broken one with a bench grinder and finish it with the Drill Doctor. Drill Doctor is expensive but the only bits I find I am replacing anymore are the ones my son borrows and looses:censored::laughing:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have one. It has paid for itself by now. I think they are the way to go. I found that if I use it on new bits they cut better than original grind.:thumbsup:

Ray

·
Registered
363 Posts
Some people can sharpen a drill bit by eye, some people can throw a baseball 104 MPH. These are not normal people, they are oddities of nature. No matter how much I practice I will never throw a baseball 104 MPH, the genes are not there, same with a drill bit. I have had a Drill Doctor for about 15 years, I am sure it has paid for itself. Much easier to sharpen a bit than drive to a store and buy a new one! Good luck JIm

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have one, (the first model that was released) and have worn out the diamond wheel.

I also sharpen by Freehand.

I really like to use it with the small diameter bits...:yes:

·
Registered
54 Posts
For you guys that free hand do you use the face of the wheel or the side. Directions say to never ever use the side of the wheel but I see guys do it for drill bits. My wheel s a 8" Cincinnati Milicron wheel.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts