Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to woodworking. Really, I don't even think I rate newbie status. Woodworking has been a discipline that's been in the back of my mind for many years now, and I think it's the next big thing for me.

I work with my hands a lot (advanced gardening, professional-level cooking, basic DIY stuff, animal husbandry) and have the highest respect for real-world practical skills. I know my way around basic hardware and tools, and I have a great love of making things.

My main interest in woodworking I think will be fine furniture. Making things of great use and beauty that *endure* will be a great change from my other disciplines of gardening and cooking. Producing good food is hugely important to me, but there's rarely much to show for it at the end of the day or the growing season. However, I realize that I'll need to learn to walk before I can run, so to speak. I don't expect to produce gorgeous furniture this year or even soon. With luck, the projects I cut my teeth on will be satisfying and useful too.

I'm here at woodworkingtalk for advice and to glean what I can from online sources. I'll be picking the brains and asking the advice of the experts here.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You'll find lots of useful advice and tips here. Plenty of helpful folks. Don't be afraid to ask questions. :)

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Pick a project. A small table, a tool box, or a book case....something simple that will require you to work to square and even and introduce you to joinery, glues, tolerances, finishing and tools.
Buy tools as you need them for each project. Buy the best you can afford! Good ones will last a lifetime and more.
Learn to sharpen. Pick a method that suits your working style and perfect it.
Above all, enjoy!

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

Questions are good but try to be detailed or use pictures to get the point across. You will get better answers that way. There are many on here that are willing to help. Just remember we like pictures.:thumbsup::laughing:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Everybody in this forum was, at one time, where you are.... So, welcome to the forum.....
Feel free to ask anything..... We love to help.....

Sent to y'all offen' a iPad thing......

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I think Gene's suggestion is excellent and I would particularly counsel you to do a "shop project" to start with --- that is, a tool box or a workbench or something that will be used as a tool itself to further your other work. This has all the advantages of requiring you to learn woodworking and the added advantage of having it out in the garage where the mistakes will remind you to do better as opposed to the kitchen where the mistakes will make your friends think you goofed :smile:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I've posted onto a thread you started - but a welcome is what you get here. You already know what a great site this can be!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Welcome from Texas!

Dave H

1 - 16 of 16 Posts