Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Curmudgeon in Training
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks, for letting me hang around - this is a great forum. I'm not exactly new to woodworking but have never been on a wood forum before. I framed houses for a few years while in college (years ago) but have been making sawdust for only about seven years. I'm not an overly good woodworker but I've got a nice shop and several great tools. I'm looking forward to this forum - hoping to solicit some advise from time to time. Is it OK if I start now, even though, this is the introduction section?

I'm finishing up a white oak night stand and was planning to finish it with medium walnut Danish oil followed by a few coats of polyurathane (sorry, don't have any photos of the piece, just finished the assembly last night). However, I read somewhere recently that a good finish can be achieved using a minimum of three coats of Danish oil followed by wax. Any thoughts or suggestions by some of you guys with more experience using Danish oil?

Hey, thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Welcome Geoguy,
I think you will get a much better response if you post this in the woodfinish thread.There's a wealth of info over there too that might answer your question....Good Luck! Can't wait to see your project,post some pic's. Mark

·
Curmudgeon in Training
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, great site. I've already received some finishing advice. I just finished applying the Danish oil (see below). So far, I'm pleased - I think it's one of my best pieces yet.

Attachments

·
Curmudgeon in Training
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Marko. I'm building matching bedroom furniture for my 16-year old son (maybe 10 or 20 years from now he will think it's cool that his old man built bedroom furniture for him). I'm starting the dresser tomorrow. And a head board/foot board after that if the dresser doesn't kick my tail! :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks, Marko. I'm building matching bedroom furniture for my 16-year old son (maybe 10 or 20 years from now he will think it's cool that his old man built bedroom furniture for him). I'm starting the dresser tomorrow. And a head board/foot board after that if the dresser doesn't kick my tail! :)
Geo,I think he thinks it's cool now! But he's 16 and his ego won't permit him to openly admit it....I bet you every single person/friend in his life knows about it.......you are Dad,and better yet,you are Dad who builds neat stuff for him!He knows your spending alot of time on him and some dough too!
I have a 19yr.old and a 3 yr.old.(one in College and one soon to be in Kindergarten)one turned my beard grey and the other is making my hair fallout.the roughest of both worlds.Doesn't mke me a child psych but sure gives some experience.:thumbsup:

·
Curmudgeon in Training
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Geo,I think he thinks it's cool now! But he's 16 and his ego won't permit him to openly admit it....I bet you every single person/friend in his life knows about it.......you are Dad,and better yet,you are Dad who builds neat stuff for him!He knows your spending alot of time on him and some dough too!
I have a 19yr.old and a 3 yr.old.(one in College and one soon to be in Kindergarten)one turned my beard grey and the other is making my hair fallout.the roughest of both worlds.Doesn't mke me a child psych but sure gives some experience.:thumbsup:
Wow! must be tough having two families. I'll agree, you have the experience. I also have a daughter - just turned 21. I'm rapidly becoming an old coot (that's what the wife says:laughing: )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts