Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

As the title says I'm sorta new at this sort of thing. My wife an I just bought our first house and well...I've been doing a few repairs here and there. Today I actually refinished my first piece of furniture. It was just a book shelf but I figured I'd start small. Anyhow, over the last few weeks I've discovered I really enjoy that sort of thing. Maybe it's the idea of having your own house and knowing you're adding quality to your life, I don't know.

Anyhow, I've been browsing power tools and such as she, my wife, would like a few more book cases, a new dog house and a few other things and thought I'd try my hand at it. Figure I'd never learn unless I jump into it. So, like I said, I've been browsing around and looking at different brands, tools, etc and from what I can gather DeWalt is one of the better brands to go with. I've been looking at cordless drills, reciprocating saws, orbital sanders and a circular saw and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to which I should go with. I figure I'd end up spending $400-$600 for the four but would like to be on the low end of that if possible. Should I even be looking at that many items right off the bat?

I've looked at the DeWalt 6 piece set which has everything except the drill is a hammer/drive drill. I don't think I would really need that and have read there are problems with the hammer drill which I don't need. Should I be concerned with that?

Thanks in advance for any replies and I apologize for the long post, I'm a bit long winded at times

Hit

·
johnep
2,140 Posts
Here in UK houses are built of brick so a hammer drill is a necessity.
I have had one over 20 years and no problem. There is a switch to change from straight drive to hammer.

My most useful tool is my workmate folding bench.

Recently bought a bench grinder for $20 to keep my tools sharp.

Relatives are always asking what they can get you for birthdays etc.

Tools are always acceptable.
johnep

·
Registered
129 Posts
HitMan,
Those tool sets in my opinion are not the best way to go. Generally they have a couple of tools you will probably not use or need. But if you find one that you will use all the tools go for it. Cordless tools have come a long way and are great. I would recommend a corder circular saw over cordless. The cordless version is nice to have after the corded one.
Not getting into a brand comparison if you want good tools look at a tools store. The big box stored HD and Lowe's sometimes have inferior products built for them of a lessor quality.
Buy what you need when you need it. Being new it all looks great to have. Take it a step at a time and work safe.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Careful, you can quickly get addidicted. I would suggest going corded for all tools except the drill/driver. For tools that I don't use a whole lot, I usually go with a lower priced tool. My hammer drill was only $69.00 I only used it for a handful of holes.

I put a shopping list together and you could easily stay at the lower end of your target.
corded ROS - $60.00
corded Saw - $120
cordless Drill - $120
corded recipricating saw - $120
Then you could use a few nailers, jigsaw, table saw, and the list goes on.
Good Luck and post back on what you ended up with.

Edit: FWIW, usually I buy Ryobi when I want cheap, some of their tools are better than the others. My hammer drill is Ryobi $69, I have a spare cordless drill made by Ryobi that only cost $29, my new miter saw stand is Ryobi and I think it's excellant. Then there's the Ryobi jigsaw, I used this tool for my immediate project, hated it, and exchanged it for the Bosch that cost more than 2x. That's one of the good things about HD, they have a pretty easy return policy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think the list Clutchcargo assembled is a fairly "standard" must have list. The only thing I don't have is the recipricating saw. I've definitely had to use one before though (just rented it) but my saw, drill and sander... Those get used all the time!

Don't skimp on those power tools. After using mine more than once I realized that all of my stuff was crap. Now I'm having to replace it all. Live and learn I guess. :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, the suggestions are really appreciated. I'll be taking clutchcargo's list and probably run with it. Going window shopping tonight! :)

Thanks,
Hit

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HD was having a sale I guess so I picked up everything for $99 bucks a piece plus the 10% off coupon my wife had/asked me to use. I think all 4 cost around $330 total which is pretty good I think. Anyhow, thanks for all the help, I'm sure I'll be around asking more noob questions. :icon_smile:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
:icon_smile: Got the 1/2" drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw and an orbital sander then of course all the accessories. Blades, bits, etc. got some other stuff too, new hammer, stuff like like that. Our local paper gives all their wooden pallets away so I'm stopping by there tomorrow to pick some of those up to work with first, at least until I can figure out what I'm doing. :icon_smile: Oh, we did pick some magazines and books up that have a lot of ideas/plans for beginners. Bookshelves and the like.

Tonight I did drag out an old oak desk she had bought for $15 and started stripping it down. The top is formica though and I'm not sure what to do about that. Still looking for ideas on the net. Regardless, I had fun and really enjoyed doing what little I did tonight. Looking forward to 5:00pm tomorrow so I can come home and work on it some more. Especially looking forward to getting the pallets, just need to come up with something to make with them.

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts