Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I may never leave my shop again. Finally got my old delta unisaw running (still need a few fixes) and it...is...AWESOME. ripped 15 100 year old oak boards yesterday and I can't wait to get back in the shop and do some more. Took the boards right from the saw to the glue up table. My other table saws will be jealous. I found this saw on craigslist for $325. It looked rough when I got it. A little tlc and a lot of elbow grease has her running like new. It is so quiet and the power is insane. (not sure why the photo is showing up sideways. sorry)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Isn't a good running Unisaw a pleasure to use? How many horsepower under the hood? Have a splitter on it? (highly recommended!).

I rotated your pic to prevent neck pain.

Bill

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
wow, I like it. It looks very similar to a saw my dad had many years ago before I knew anything about saws.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I agree that using a good running Unisaw is a pleasure to use.
Want to double your pleasure? Put a Biesemeyer style fence on it! I put a Jet Xacta fence on mine. After having the Xacta fence on it for a few years, I bought some Lowes $50 Biesemeyer fences, and tried one on my rails. The only thing better with the Biesemeyer, imho, was the curser was easier to see. I replace my Exacta curser, with a Biesemeyer one.

For anyone limited to 110 volts, the old 1 hp "Bullet" motor saws run fine on 110 volt/15 amp service.
My 1hp bullet has cut whatever I have fed it. These 1hp 1625 rpm motors have more power than newer style 1 hp motors.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I forgot to add that, you should think of mounting a paddle switch, on the left side of the saw, under the fence rail, where your left thigh, can shut the saw off. Great safety/convenience feature. No need to take a hand off the work, and go hunting for the switch.
Thigh height, just above the knee works for me.

I made my paddle switch, after making a stopped cut into a sheet of plywood, and had to crawl under the ply, to get to the switch! Praying the sheet of ply didn't get shot across the shop, while I looked for the switch!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts