Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I’ve begun really getting into PVC wood. Have done several projects this year, big and small, using PVC stock and sheet material, and I think it’s possibilities are endless. Outside I used PVC wood to dramatically transform the look of the deck supports under our sunroom. But it was as much a rescue as it was a facelift, bringing much needed protection against the water that sheets off the curved glass and batters the base of the 4X6 posts.
IMG_6284.jpg
The "rivets" holding down those "steel plated brackets" are plastic clips for car bumpers. Used PVC wood to fashion a drawer to hide all those F-ing remotes on the coffee table. Started with a track system hung underneath with some double sided tape and kept going from there.
IMG_8258.jpg
The stuff cuts like butter, shapes easily, handles urethane based putty really well, sands smooth, takes paint beautifully, glues together great and is durable. So I think PVC wood has applications we are only beginning to mine.

·
Registered
796 Posts
can't say i've ever seen pvc material anywhere other than the plumbing department
where are you located that you have this at your disposal?

·
Super Moderator
3,254 Posts
PVC boards are in the lumber department, trim section.
it is not called "PVC Wood" it is just plain PVC board or PVC Foam Board.
the down side (for me is the junky "dust" that it produces).
on power tools, it creates static electricity that clings to everything.
the upside is it never rots - an excellent choice for exterior projects.
but - it is not UV tolerant so it must be painted, in most cases.
most that I have seen is smooth all 4 sides.
some of the smaller, 1x4 & 1x6 boards are wood textured on one side, smooth on the other.

1429207.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
can't say i've ever seen pvc material anywhere other than the plumbing department
where are you located that you have this at your disposal?
In our area, one of the newest Home Depots that opened almost 2 years ago has the best variety of PVC sheet goods. (Not all H-D stores carrying it). It and Lowe's have a great supply of PVC lumber in the classic dimensions. H-D has 4'X8' sheets in 1/2" (imagine the potential). Other dimensions include sizes as big as 3/4"X2'X4' sheets, same thing in a 1/4" thickness. I expect the next time I head to H-D they'll be carrying 3/4" in the 4'X8' size, so clearly demand is growing. H-D's sheets didn't start arriving till after I started the deck make-over. So I had to do some laminating I could have avoided.
IMG_7729 2.jpg
PVC sheet goods I'm predicting will become a big favorite as word spreads about its versatility. Simple shelving repairs show its potential. This 1/2" thickness of PVC in my shop was a perfect fit.
IMG_8260.jpg
And when it came to cleaning up behind the crew that replaced our old mini-split this summer, PVC wood helped save the day. With no access behind the wall like I had 12 years ago during a remodel, there was no avoiding a visible channel of conduit for the copper lines this time. Some quickly fabricated parts using PVC wood helped tie in the old chase and blend in the “modified” chair rail.
IMG_7280.jpg
IMG_7357.jpg
IMG_7362.jpg
PVC wood is handy stuff. It will never replace wood, of course, but where durability is the goal, especially outdoors, under sinks, where paint and solvents are stored and drawers, it can't be beat.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Absolutely correct. I work for a new home builder. We use this for exterior trim such as mullions between windows and toe kicks beneath entry and slider doors. We also use it to wrap porch posts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Absolutely correct. I work for a new home builder. We use this for exterior trim such as mullions between windows and toe kicks beneath entry and slider doors. We also use it to wrap porch posts.
Glad to hear it. Before posting I looked high and low and could hardly find anything of consequence on PVC wood. About 10 years ago, when the stuff started showing up in the big box stores, I cut a small piece of trim to stop a nagging leak issue. At deck level, against the metal channels holding a glass panel to our sunroom, wood trim of any kind always rotted no matter the grade or amount of caulk I'd use. Never had a problem since. That's when I knew PVC wood was here to stay.
IMG_8477.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts