Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here it is, i have been asked to do a coffee table, out of ceder, its adirondackish, lol, anyways they had the boards planned but not joined, i dont have a joiner , is there a way to get a straight cut on the sides, so i can put them together, they have bark on the sides grrrr

·
The New Guy
1,199 Posts
A straight edge and a router with a flush trim bit would work if the piece isn't too thick. Then a table saw for any subsequent cuts since you'll have a nice straight edge.

Could also use a circular saw with a straight edge then a table saw for subsequent cuts.

And if all else fails, go manual and grab an arm powered hand saw and mark a nice straight line to follow. Might take a while, but I've done it before.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
You could use any substrate (plywood, MDF, particle board) and use the factory edge (assuming it's straight), and cut yourself a strip of it to overhang one edge (to run against the fence) and cut the other edge on the table saw. If you're concerned about some small finish nail holes (4d) nail into what will be the back side. After one pass, take off the straightedge, and use the other edge to go against the fence. You will have two square edges @ 90° that will be parallel to each other.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.