Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm knee deep in a building a vertical narrow belt sander that was featured in an issue of Shop Notes magazine a while back. After watching the amazing and brilliant works of Matthias Wandel (Woodgears), then making my cam clamps, I am fired up with inspiration and the allure of making ones own tools.

Here's the project:

Design Machine woodworking Machine tool Advertising

Out of this issue of Shop Notes:

Magazine Technology Machine Games woodworking

What great project doesn't begin with clamp porcupines?

Workbench Table Furniture Tool Toolroom

Table Wood woodworking Toolroom Workbench

Some of these pictures won't be in chronological order. And I won't waste your time with complete play by plays. Just enough to make you wish you were making one of your own. :laughing:

Wood Plywood Hardwood Wood stain

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bearing block.

Wood Birdhouse Plywood Table Hardwood

Bearing block and upright.

Wood Table Furniture woodworking Plywood

Bearings and shaft. Ooooo... Ahhhhh...

Plywood Wood Hardwood Furniture Wood stain

Wood Plywood Table Furniture

Nice wide chunk of plywood. Should be quite sturdy.

Wood Hand Wood stain Plywood Hardwood

·
Banned
615 Posts
That's looking great! I'm right there with ya. I wanted a sander and was tired of saving for one. So I was going to build this. But when I told my wife she said her dad bought me one for my birthday/Christmas. Though I haven't seen it yet lol, i'm still waiting. I'm gonna watch this build though, very interesting!

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another glue-up.

Wood Lumber

Attached tracking arm stop.

Wood Table Tool Machine Furniture

I felt that the frame of this thing should be reinforced with dowels. The plans don't call for it but I feel it'll be more durable with the added support. This is before I sanded them smooth.

Wood Plywood Hardwood Furniture Table

Start of the tracking arm (hard maple).

Wood Birdhouse Plywood Table Hardwood

Start of the tension arm (Honduran rosewood).

More to come...

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One question: What's the solution for dust collection?
Good question. I haven't even considered that yet. I don't think the plans mention DC at all. I may have to design a shroud of some sort.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for tuning in, guys. This project started on a whim. I literally thought to myself "I just made and gave away 16 Christmas gifts. I want to make some kind of cool shop item for myself before getting back to projects for others." Then I grabbed a stack of Shop Notes and others and scanned through and decided on toys project.

I can't upload photos right now but, I got the frame mounted to the base and painted hammered green (like the one in the article). Looking good so far. I also have the tracking arm completed and lacquered. Same for the tension arm. I'm working on the tool rest arm now.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The base consists of 2 pieces of 3/4" ply glued and screwed together from underneath.

Wood Plywood Hardwood Table Furniture

Wood Plywood Table Tool Furniture

Tracking arm completed (hard maple).

Wood Hardwood Tool accessory Tool

Wood Plywood Tool accessory Table woodworking

Tension arm completed (Brazilian rosewood).

Wood Hardwood

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like you're progressing quickly. What motor are you planning to use? Did you have to buy one or did you have one laying around?
I have a motor already. It's one that I bought from another member at one of our woodworking club meetings a while back. I paid very little for it. And it happens to be the correct HP rating, exact RPM called for and has happens to already have the correct size pulley. Like it was meant to be.

More shots of the tension arm.

Wood Table Plane Hardwood Wood stain

Wood woodworking Hardwood

Body mounted (glued and lag bolted) to base.

Wood Table Workbench woodworking Furniture

Table Wood Furniture Workbench woodworking

Bearing counter-bores were masked. Other holes were protected by a rolled piece of waxed paper.

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Plywood

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hammered green. I still want to apply several more coats.

Tool Toolroom Machine Machine tool Workbench

Technology Machine Bandsaw Tool

Tool rest arm (Purple heart). Drilled the washer counter-bores on angled edge.

Tool Machine tool Machine Milling Wood shaper

Completed tool rest arm.

Finger Hand Wood Wood stain

Technology Electronics Gadget Electronic device Material property

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Roller blanks.

Wood Wood stain Table Plywood Furniture

Lower roller band-sawn and drilled for shaft.

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Plywood woodworking

Made a thin wooden washer to protect the decorative cedar end from being damaged/dented during next step.

Circle Wood

Mounted tightly on a bolt.

Box-sealing tape Thread Circle Plywood

Product Thread Wire Auto part Rim

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Then chucked into the drill press and sanded (for quite a while) with strips of sanding cloth to round out and remove flat spots and other anomalies left from band sawing.

Machine Machine tool Milling Tool accessory Wood

This baby is nice a smooth now. And slightly crowned (more crowning may be required but I'll have to wait and see how well the belt tracks before refining any more). But I may still have to true it up more finely once it's mounted to the actual shaft, since the shaft is a more perfect fit than the bolt.

I'm moving right along but there's still a lot more to be done. I'm also still in the process of gathering some of the hardware. Some things, such as the shaft collars and nice aluminum star bolts, were ordered online and are being waited on.

Inn the meantime, there are still more wooden parts to be made.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.