Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow WW's. I consider myself an advanced amateur, age 58, making sawdust for most of the last 40 years. Mostly interested in small things - boxes, toys and such - though I'm also into furniture for the family. Gotten a lot more focused on hand tools and techniques in the last couple of years. Now I've been learning SketchUp so I stop screwing up board lengths by mis-accounting for joinery. :sad:

Biggest problem is I am too often distracted by building jigs, tool stands, shop storage... I sometimes think I'm more interested in building the shop than in building things for other people. I'm sure I'm unique in that respect. ;)

As a laid off IT Exec at an uncomfortable age (I guess) I dream of turning one or more hobbies into a second career. I gather woodworking / furniture making isn't an easy career for the pros, but I can dream.

- Mike
Naperville, IL

·
SS user
2,689 Posts
Welcome Mike, from an ex-Pat from Effingham county.
Like you. I too, start projects just so I can build another jig.:thumbsup:
Must be inbred in Illinois guys, huh.:laughing:

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,585 Posts
Biggest problem is I am too often distracted by building jigs, tool stands, shop storage... I sometimes think I'm more interested in building the shop than in building things for other people. I'm sure I'm unique in that respect. ;)

- Mike
Naperville, IL
Welcome from Saint Charles, IL. This is an incredible forum, with alot of very knowledgable people that are willing to share. I have been doing this crazy hobby for about 12 years now, and am still working on improving the "efficiency" of my garage/shop. I really enjoy trying to make jigs that make joints more repeatable/accurate. I glad that someone else is in the same boat. :yes: :shifty:

ONe last thing..... don't be afraid to post some pics on here. We all love pictures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts